|Little Pan - the family bunny.|
Completely useless creature but
provides love and laughs aplenty
Ha! Ever tried closing a credit card account? Here is a little story that will be of both warning and amusement value.
I am sure many banks are honourable and do the right thing - but this story shows what can happen and did happen to me.
|Some of the girls.....|
After joyously paying off a credit card in full, I skipped off to the bank in very high spirits to close the credit card account. Here is what happened without a shred of exaggeration:
- Bank ('which' bank I will not name - hee hee) advised that there would be a final statement which would include any interest on the few days before my final payment. Deflated a little, I agreed as this seemed logical.
- When statement came out three weeks later I physically went to the bank to pay the remaining $35.00 interest. Bank REFUSED to take my $35 cash over the teller and demanded I pay it by BPAY (them's the rules I was told)
- Was a good boy and paid the $35 that night by BPAY.
- Went into the bank the next day and asked to close the account. Bank REFUSED to close the account as they said funds had not cleared and could take 4 working days. Now I am beginning to be not happy.
- Left it for a week then went back into the bank and asked for credit card to now be closed. Bank launched right into trying to sell me other products (insurance, loans, mortgages, investments....) "No thanks". Cheery Bank employee then turned off the twinkling smile and fiddled around on the computer for a minute or two then tersely advised me that the account was now closed.
- Asked bank for that in writing. Bank REFUSED and advised that I would get a final statement stating this and the account would disappear off my internet banking.
- Checked online when I got home, and yes, the credit card account had indeed gone. Woo Hoo!
- A few weeks later I got a statement - credit card was account $35 in credit - what the!!??
- Rang the bank and was advised that I did not need to pay the interest that I had been previously advised I had to. The interest had been credited back. Bank REFUSED to give refund over the phone and advised I needed to go into a branch for that. Sigh
- Went into the branch a week later and explained the whole thing. Bank advised that since then the yearly fee had now dropped in and I actually now was owing $50!! I saw red.
- Asked the Bank how a closed account could attract a yearly fee and was advised that because there was a $35 credit on the account that the account could only be deactivated for further use but not closed - Seriously?!
- Advised that I would not be paying this seeing as the account was still active due to the Bank crediting the interest against their previous advice. Bank advised would look into it for me.
- Four weeks later got another statement still showing the yearly fee PLUS interest on the unpaid portion of the yearly fee! Now officially furious.
- Stomped down to the bank like a screaming banshee, slapped the statement on the counter and let rip. Bank instantly sprang into action probably due to 20 customers in the bank rubber-necking to see what was going on. I was beyond caring.
- Bank has now assured me that the account is finally closed and all is settled.
I still await a final statement.....hmmmm.
|A fresh hot loaf of bread made from scratch.|
Anyway....off to take my blood pressure tablet now. Even relating the story back makes me instantly emotionally unintelligent. Meh.
Take care folks and stay nice (mostly!)