Sunday, 13 August 2017

Investing - Teach Yourself


I am a sucker for 1940's gentlemen's fashion



Hi folks

Investing can be scary, confusing, frustrating and time consuming. However the most important thing with investing is educating ourselves before we invest a single cent.

I have constructed a very basic reading/research list for those of us who have never invested - hopefully it will begin a lifelong self-education and interest into wise investing:


Cooking and freezing meals in bulk


These links below are mainly relevant to Australia (because that is where I am!) but the basic principles are the same world over - just click on the item in the lists below to take you to the article or site.


Investing Research:
Bogleheads - Investing in Australia
ASIC - Moneysmart - Investing
How To Start Investing - Scott Pape
ETF's How to buy - BlackRock


Investment Products Research:
Vanguard Australia
iShares Australia
Argo
AFIC
Computershare
NABTrade

Obviously and importantly, I am not a financial adviser nor am I affiliated with any of these companies or products that I have linked above, nor have I or will I get paid for this post by anyone. I am simply sharing these links that I found useful in the beginning of my self-education into investing.

You will note there is little in these links about day trading, individual share trading or speculative trading as this type of trading is not of interest to me. My investment plan is long term, buy and hold, reinvest and diversification across the next 20 years or more.


Never clown around with investing - commit to life-long learning


Hopefully this tiny handful of links will start your wider journey of self-education into wise investing. All those hard-saved pennies from being frugal need to be put to work - you've done your bit in saving them, now they have to do their bit and multiple faster than inflation.


Enjoy, take care and stay nice.

Mr HM (Phil)

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links Phil. Great advice to educate yourself before parting with your money!

    Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,
    Have you read the little book,The Richest Man in Babylon? I think you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the links! I have read Scott Pape's very popular book and have an interest in investing now, but didn't quite know where to go from there, so thank you, for doing some of the research for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a shove in the right direction - you'll need to do plenty of your own research from henceforth Kelly....but it will be fascinating I promise you

      Delete
  4. A year ago I set up a Commsec Trading account and am now a shareholder. It was so easy, the dividends are a much higher interest rate than money invested in the banks, but as Scott Pape says, keep enough cash invested (in bank Term investments) to live on for three years in the event of a stock market downturn. Like you I've got long term, buy and hold shares such as Argo, AFIC which always pay a dividend. I bought Scott Pape's Barefoot Investor as gifts to my young people just starting out. It's a great shame that young folks aren't taught about financials as part of their formal education, and many older folks think it's all too hard to have shares. Thanks for opening this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also consider doing DRP too on AFIC and Argo Sally. Both companies also do dividend smoothing to ensure a regular income. They are the old 'wise ones' of Australian investment companies I'm thinking. Buying these LIC's when they are trading at a discount to their net value is important too I'm thinking. Just my unqualified opinion here.

      Delete
    2. Very good opinion you have, if I may say so. (Nods in agreement.) My accountant friend's tip:- take the dividends, put those $$ away until they offer a discount purchase for shareholders, and then purchase. Thus acquiring more shares for our dollar. I'm interested to hear your view on that? :)

      Delete
    3. That is an excellent idea too Sally, although you would want a sizable amount of accrued dividends to justify the cost of the trade - at least with auto DRP the trade is free and often the company offers some discount too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...