|Crisp raw beans in home-made humomus|
Mrs HM and I have made a decision about how we wish to live the last trimester of our lives. It simply is this:
1. Buy a caravan and suitable tow-vehicle for cash and travel for at least 6-9 months of the year around our beautiful country. Maximum spend A$100,000.00
2. Buy a small property in rural NSW or QLD to be our base and for the five HM daughters to use/come-back-to as needed. Maximum spend A$100,000.00
This will mean a secondhand caravan and tow-vehicle and a humble country property.....both of which are totally fine by us. The amount of near-new caravans that come up for sale is just astounding and the amount of affordable rural properties that become available is also very achievable - I've been watching both for nearly 4 years now and know that these goals are doable.
|Frying up succulent chicken|
If Mrs HM had her way it would be just the caravan and the tow vehicle and full time nomadic lifestyle.....I see the need for a basic base-property in the event of either one of us getting seriously unwell or any of our five daughters needing a place to call home for the short or long term. Also if the economy goes bad or political unrest hits then at least we have a place to call our own and be self sustaining.
So how long away is all of this? Well - it depends how quickly the following list of events gets ticked off:
1. Cash saved for caravan and tow vehicle
2. All five daughters finish their university (college) degrees and gain employment
3. Cash saved for a rural small holding
4. Skills and qualifications gained to support earning potential whilst traveling (very important)
5. Divesting of all our unneeded worldly goods
Number 4 above has been the topic of interesting conversations lately with us both coming to an initial agreement that we would both complete a Cert IV or diploma in Nursing to give us national accreditation as AIN's. This would allow us to pick up shifts through Nursing agencies as we travelled. We have two daughters who are finishing Nursing degrees as we speak who can assist us with our studies too if needs be. This may be a little bit of a rose-coloured plan, but the facts are unless we have a usable,transferable and portable skill whilst we travel then the plans will not eventuate - simple as that. (Nurses - your thoughts on this plan would be appreciated too please). Both of us would go 'nuts' not working at all and this profession would allow us to also contribute directly back to the communities that we spend longer periods of time at as we travel.
|BIG kitchen cupboard declutter today........|
|.....Mrs HM's on a roll!!|
I guarantee this will be sparkling by tea time.
So how long?....well our guess is probably five and a half years to be realistic. We will be both 56 by then.
Are we dreaming, or do you think this is achievable?
Take care folks and stay nice.