Friday, 24 March 2017

The Cult


A vegetable bake - a great way to use a glut of zucchinis and eggplants.


Hi folks

Consumerism spreads us so thin, keeping us so committed to its ideals and grooming our loyalty in return for whatever it pre-determines us our heart's desire should be. Sounds pretty much like a cult to me.


A couple of my favourite hats


Here are some hallmarks of a cult - sounds like an exact match against our consumerist society to me:


  •   Zealous commitment to a leader - (what product is trending lately and leading the market?)
  •   Questioning is discouraged even punished - (Try  fitting in as a fugalista! - Shunning alert!)
  •   Mind altering repetitive practices - (Serotonin addiction to shopping)
  •   Dictates how members should think, act, and feel - (1000's of advertising images do the trick)
  •   Members are elitist  - (driving the latest tin god on wheels yet? Is that three year old kitchen updated yet?)
  •   Reduced societal accountability - (who's approving all these loans and credit cards anyway?)
  •   Shame, fear or guilt inflicted on non-conformers - (Your life will be meaningless without widget XYZ)
  •   Most loyalest members cannot imagine or function outside of the cult - (I would rather die than be seen wearing/driving that....cannot live without my dryer...you eat what?)
  •   Expectation to devote inordinate amounts of time to group activities - (checked out a Westfield car park lately? Could you even find a park?)
  •   Total financial commitment expected and encouraged  - (oh yeah, no explanation needed)
  •   Laws preventing members from acts of normalcy - (your backyard vegetable garden is illegal in this zip code Mr Jones)
  •   The altering of facts and withholding of information (product labels.....contract small type.....this will make you look 10 years younger/100 pounds lighter)

Doughnut dough made from scratch

Deep-frying the doughnuts.
When cooler, glaze with  a lemon sugar wash and inject with
jam and creme patissiere.



Consumerism makes the proverbial  Moonies pale into insignificance when it comes to cultish hallmarks and behaviours.  No doubt about it, consumerism is a dangerous and addictive cult which has the best part of the western world thoroughly duped by its ideologies and totally emotionally invested in its promises.  Admittedly, it is plain hard work battling and dodging the western world's biggest and most powerful cult, especially when a certain degree of involvement is required for most of us - tricky.

We need to just walk away from this cult folks and keep hold of those hard-earned coins that we have swapped for irretrievable hours of our precious lives.


Our salt lamp helping to purify
our air inside - chemical free.



Take care folks and step away from the Kool-Aid.


Mr HM



11 comments:

  1. Hi Mr Homemaker, I enjoy your blog but have never commented before. Intrigued by your Himalayan salt lamp, I was dismayed to see when I googled that many have been recalled due to a faulty switch. Just wanted to let you know in case yours is one of those affected. Thanks for all your your great content!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison, great to hear from you.
      I ordered mine with a special dimmer switch and have had zero issues thankfully. It actually rarely gets turned off either.

      Delete
  2. Another brilliant post, when reading your words, it all becomes very simplistic, I'm just glad we are off that merry go round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those of us that are off the merrygoround should be finding unique ways to encourage others off it too. I was encouraged off initially by Rhonda Hetzel and then found a massive 'hidden' group of people in society who so generously form a protective and encouraging circle of strength around anyone that is brave enough to walk away from 'the cult'. You're certainly are one of those fine folk Marlene.

      Delete
  3. I'm actually noticing this more and more as I'm becoming so much more aware. I find that if something is pushed onto me or as in shops pretty much in my face I go in the opposite direction - literally. I really enjoyed your post, well done.

    Oh by the way, any doughnuts left? If so, can I please have one with hot jam :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh those doughnuts were just splendid, I must admit. Slimming too! (ha ha)

      Delete
  4. Hmmm I was wondering how slimming those doughnuts would be, Mr.HM. How is the weight loss going? I laughed about the 3 year old kitchen. Ours is as old as the paddocks. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I journey along in life I am embracing being the "odd one out"...which is reassuring I guess I won't be sucked into any cult :) Unless of course it's a simple living cult, that's worth being a member of :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very well put Phil! I had never thought of it that way :)

    Those donuts look delicious! I must try making them one day...maybe when I have lost this annoying five kilos that has appeared from nowhere ;)

    Have a great week,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walked away from the cult with the help of Rhonda Hetzel and never regretted it. There's a wonderful freedom in buying only what you truly want or need to buy rather than what one is told to buy - although the look on people's faces when you tell them your husband bought you manure for your birthday is priceless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your post today Phil (although I am late reading it!). Being frugal does feel like a subversive act! I too wanted to comment on your salt lamp - it is the nicest one I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...