Saturday, 18 March 2017

The 80 cent Frugal Breakfast


80 cents for a simple nourishing breakfast


Hi folks

Here is just one of many favourite frugal breakfasts. Soft-boiled eggs and coffee.

I calculated the two eggs and the teaspoon of coffee cost me exactly 80 cents.

You could even do it cheaper than this by using cheap supermarket eggs and no-name coffee - it would probably cost roughly 60 cents.


The five HM daughters bought me
this cup for fathers day gift
a few years back. I love it.


My eggs are willingly laid by my happy free-range, scrap gobbling, garden wrecking, very vocal hens hence they cost me just a little more than buying the cheap ones laid by caged hens who have never pecked a worm, never seen the sun, never seen a cockerel fine and live in appalling conditions.

Eggs are an abundant source of protein from the whites and the yolks containing several vitamins and minerals.


The top comes off the bowler hat
and converts to an egg cup.
My coffee is staying hot underneath
until I am ready to eat.


This sure beats the pants off paying $7.50 for a toasted egg and sauce sandwich and a latte.

I had this exact breakfast this morning on the deck watching the beautiful rain.


Some of my happy hens.

So, whilst said rain is truly beautiful - I'm off to fix a leaking roof now. Mrs HM has been patient long enough with the bucket regime!


Take care folks and stay nice.

Mr HM


16 comments:

  1. Mr.HM, I simply love that mug! I have never seen one like that before and if I had my Dad still I would buy him one. I hear you about the 'garden wrecking' chooks. What a mess they have made since I have been sick and inside most of the time :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just laugh at these silly articles I see about hens just picking off slugs and snails out of the garden - how unrealistic! Mine are veritable bulldozers

      Delete
  2. Other than the rain, sounds perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roof still leaking too....need to get the silastic gun out I think

      Delete
  3. Oh that mug is truly the best. First I saw your photo of the mug with its little hat on and it made me smile, Well then I read on and saw the photo with the hat flipped over and it is now an egg cup and my smile got bigger and then the chickens. Aaaaah they are adorable. I really like the colour of the lighter brown one.

    Great simple post which was such a joy to read. Good way to start my Sunday morning. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light brown one's name is Princess Layer.

      Delete
  4. Love the mug & the saucer it sits on. Wonderful & very fun set!
    Love your hens too. I still have a dream of someday having some in my own backyard --- IF I can persuade Hubby. :)
    We do have access to buy good free-range eggs, though I don't know which would be less expensive here. To buy them or keep hens.
    Have a great day!
    ~Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like that mug. A terrific father's day gift. About the roof though, isn't that something the landlords should be paying to be fixed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I am happy to fix it if it is simple enough. Saves the rent going up.

      Delete
  6. i have 2 eggs on toast every morning & it's totally delicious; 3 mornings i put Vegemite on the toast, then the eggs.
    love your cup!
    isn't the rain so good?! we finally got some too!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hens are doing a fabulous job providing your breakfast! I'm a bit of a breakfast pig- I have an egg with veggies and beans along with oatmeal with fruit and nuts. I also adore that mug, so much personality to start your morning with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree that your mug/eggcup set is super cute! Egg is also very popular in our home..and so handy to always have in the kitchen...I've read recently that eating eggs makes one kinder and happy - now that's even better right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mr HM, you've just inspired me to poach 2 eggs for my mid-morning snack. I'll have a smaller lunch today to compensate. I forget how much I love poached eggs on toast, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr HM, I'd love to have chooks but I am hesitant because of our cat who is a marvellous hunter (she's served up a few mice at the back door this past week and even brought one inside last weekend to play with!). Are cats a hindrance to chooks???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention that. Our cat Toshi is an avid hunter....rats, mice, possums, birds ...... but not our chooks. She will sit out in the sun and the chooks will peck around her and she does not even react. She even sits on the chook house roof sunning herself. So, it might be fine. I suppose it has a lot to do with the general psyche of your cat I guess.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! We may have a go at this if we decide to stay in this rental another year. :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...