Monday, 27 February 2017

Core Values - Home

Lasagne cooked from scratch
with a fresh garden salad....oh and
a ice cold glass of Moscato/Chardonnay.


Of all my core values, the value of HOME would have to be the strongest.  I love being at home, I love returning home, I love not having to leave home and I love coming home at the end of a day and hearing the tall front gate latch click decisively behind me.

Even as a child I loved home, it was my all time favourite place to be. Now as an adult, home represents the antithesis of my time outside of home. In a fast paced and highly people-focused career complete with all the inherent challenges of co-leading 100's of staff, home shines as a beacon of stillness and surety at the end of long days of frenetic and emotionally demanding activity. Home is that place which my heart belongs to.


Cutting up soap into bars


Home also is a place of productivity - meals are cooked from scratch, gardens are grown, budgets are contrived, DIY is alive and well, cleaners and soap are made, stockpiling occurs and the dollar is stretched till it screams.

Home is a place of peace - not always, if ever, physically peaceful (Heck - there is just too much going on with Ma, Pa and five grown daughters for it ever to be truly quiet and serene!). The peace comes from it being a place of comfort, welcoming familiarity, safety, inclusiveness, knowing where you fit in, being loved, hugs, smiles, inside jokes and loads of good food.


A watering can full of liquid fertiliser for the potted veggies


Home is a place of welcoming - where folks can come and be fed, listened to, appreciated - a place to crash, a place to feel included, a place to discuss and chat, a place to bed-down for the night (there is always a mattress on the floor housing an extra body!) and a place of good nourishing, tasty food and a decent drop of wine.....and a good cup-of-tea.

Home is where you hang your hat. Home is where the heart is.  Home does not have to be expensive, classy or even tidy. Homes are made of personal emotional investment not built of bricks and mortar.  Home just has to be a place that we yearn to return to at the end of a day.

If we have managed to create a place where we and others truly want to be - then that's home.


Meals cooked in bulk ahead of time
bound for the freezer.


Home - a place to produce, a place to welcome others, a place to be ourselves, a place to be content and a place to create a palpable sense of  'family'.


Take care folks and stay nice.

Mr HM


Who can deny the delights of freshly laid eggs?!



16 comments:

  1. Good morning Mr HM, I feel the same about my home, I love being at home and returning home at the end of the working day. I love investing time and effort into my home to make it a comfortable and peaceful place to be. I work hard at trying to grow fruit and veggies (lots of failures) but I keep trying. I, like you, make all of our household cleansers from simple ingredients and I am about to try another of your laundry liquid recipes soon. Home is definitely where my heart is and I can't see that changing any time soon, if fact I can't wait for the day I retire (15 years and counting ) to spend most of my time at home creating an even more comforting and abundant home. Have a lovely day.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning right back at you Fiona! I'm right with you on looking forward to retiring.....figuring out ways to do it earlier :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds bliss, I love my family but home alone is a perfect place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....yep, home alone is pretty good Marlene, I must concur - I just do not get many chances at it, tiz all.

      Delete
  3. Amen to all that, Mister! As a very famous author once said...

    There is nothing like staying home
    for real comfort...
    - Jane Austen

    I love nothing more than being home, my past weekend being a good example of it (except it was a very lazy weekend!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ol' Jane Austen hey Joolz - I love period drama too (my favourite is Sense and Sensibility...the Emma Thompson version)

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written. I put you up there with Rhonda - such a way with words and a deep love of home.
    I do love reading your blog - one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! - although I am truly not in Rhonda's league

      Delete
  5. I am a homebody too, Mr HM. I love closing our blue driveway gates and finding any and every excuse not to have to go 'out' again! I think it's such a deep sense of contentment, a belief in how we spend out time here and the love of family. All here, at home. Such a lovely post to read. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so relate Meg....I even say nothing if we run out of something so we don't have to go out to get it - I'm a real 'home' tragic.

      Delete
  6. I love home. A place where my heart can rest, where I can be who I am. With my very favorite people and pets. I feel the weight of the world lift when I come home some times. There is no nicer place.

    I had to hang out at a big shopping centre today for a 1.5 of hours while my phone got a repair.....I had a wander, but but couldnt see past the consumer traps everywhere....The noise, the lights, the artificial environment.....It made my head spin and my chest tighten. I found a cafe, got a nice coffee and settled in a quiet corner and read a magazine while I waited. Happy to be out of the hustle and bustle. I was relieved to get out of there and back home. oh I did splash out and buy a $5 cord for my ipad, as *SOMEONE* (AKA Aggie) chewed the other one...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping centres - hoo boy, so not my favourite place. That is a big spending splurge out Emma....you need to calm it down gurl. ha ha!

      Delete
  7. Totally agree with you. There truly is no place like home. Even when I have been somewhere else that I wanted to be I cannot wait to come home and close the front door behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sarah - I agree, even after a wonderful holiday, arriving home and putting the kettle on is still preferable.

      Delete
  8. You said it so well!
    It's like the feeling on Christmas Eve when finally the shops are closed and you're home! Bliss. It must be absolutely horrendous to be homeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. Homelessness....I am not qualified to comment only to say that I simply could not even begin to imagine the deeply layered despair of not having somewhere to call home.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...