Saturday, 12 November 2016

Weekend Gossip


A handful of delicious, red, juicy, home grown tomatoes


Hi Folks

I am just wiping my hands and licking the spatula....I have just finished whipping up a batch of homemade ice cream using Sally at Jembella Farm's recipe HERE . The mix pretty nearly did not make it into the freezer!  I can hardly wait until it is frozen (Mr HM does a little involuntary skip in excited anticipation!).


The chocolate ice cream mix
in the freezer - to die for!


Well, the tomatoes growing in my self-watering veggie boxes are ripening quickly. We had fried eggs and tomatoes for breakfast this morning.  It is very satisfying eating a meal that is 100% grown from the back yard. Uh huh.

Plenty more tom's about to ripen


The eggplants are really getting a go-along and there are plenty of little fruit beginning to form.  The pumpkin vine is spreading its influence all over the back air-conditioner units, and in other news, June the hen is STILL clucky...(I have given up try to break the cluckiness - June the hen 54, Mr HM 0)....and thus we are mercifully down to five or six eggs a day production instead of seven. This seven-eggs-a-day racket is a real eating commitment - lots get given away.

Eggplants beginning to grow

Capsicum coming along just fine.

June - VERY angry at me photographing
her whilst she is being clucky.
Her language would peel the
paint off your walls, so I shan't
repeat it!


It rained heavily all night long and now that the sun is out it is getting very steamy...the humidity is rising very quickly.  This of course means a few things: my sun-dried washing will not be quite 100% dry when I bring it in, cotton shirts will be a preference in a bid to combat the humidity, fans will now stay on to leverage the cooling effect of high humidity air movement, dewy mornings,  a change to summer bed sheets and covers, the bathroom will need continual airing, being on a vigilant look-out for internal mould will now be necessary for the next 6 months....and my energy levels will plummet - such are the inherent effects of muggy humid weather and living in a rain belt.

Here is some random wheat growing
in the back yard from seeds the
hens did not find.


Christmas is galloping toward us like a wild brumby on oats. We are doing Secret Santa this year and have used an app to secretly allocate who has who.  Lists have been made, money has been saved and  allocated and we are 100% on track.  There is still plenty of pencil-chewing being done regarding Christmas food however....our problem is we always over-cater, and whilst this is great in that we eat left-overs for a week or more....ham, pavlova and coleslaw can get pretty dang boring when it is still repeatedly happening well into mid January!   We will just have to invite less people or use a smaller table so it looks fuller me thinks.


The Kent pumpkin vine. It will coil through the window one night
and strangle us while we sleep - I swear.


I have been buzzing around all morning 'achieving' things, so have now decided to just stop and kick back.  I got up early and have done 6 loads of washing, folded and put away 5 loads, cooked breakfast from scratch, collected eggs, watered the gardens, had a fight with June the hen (I lost again), tidied the laundry, took all the sharp edges off the new batch of soaps, vacuumed, swept, picked strawberries, picked tomatoes, dusted, did three loads of dishes. The nice thing about domestic chores compared to being a senior manager (my day job) is that domestic chores do not answer back, do not bust into tears, do not move goal posts, do not gossip, do not say one thing and mean another, are not political, do not waste tax payers money, do not indulge in one-up-man-ship.....domestic chores can be quietly just started and finished - as simple as that. Satisfying.

I heard a "meowing" from the linen press - look who
is helping iron the beach towels?!  Toshi the cat.

.......out she flies.
Sigh, towels to wash now.


Oh - just remembered I need to fix the back door - I'll do that first then I'll stop. Promise.


Take care folks and stay nice.

Mr HM

My tidied laundry.
You can just see the stockpile of loo paper
on the right, the blue container
of homemade laundry liquid on the bench
and the dryer on the right  - rarely used.





22 comments:

  1. I'm worn out just reading about your day, but then when I think about it, my day has been pretty full too, I just hadn't thought about it until now!

    The tomatoes look fabulous!

    It is so on my list this summer to attempt ice cream from scratch, I've never made it before, let us know how it was after it froze...eg ice crystals, flavour, mouth feel....if you haven't guessed I am an ice cream lover...BIG TIME...also do you have an ice cream maker, or just the freeze/stir method? I don't have an ice cream maker, and am loathe to buy one in case I don't use it enough to warrant the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have an ice cream maker - this was mixed in the Kitchen Aid and then into the freezer. There is very little chance of this mix still being there tomorrow as I have seen 'certain' daughters sneaking spoonfuls of the setting mix.....a good sign I guess.

      Delete
  2. Goodness me, Mr.HM you sure have busy Saturdays. Do the girls help too or are they busy with other things? I am sure your wife thinks you are a keeper :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only a 'keeper' if I do chores AND agree with her - hee hee!

      Delete
  3. It is so satisfying eating home grown, and it tastes so much nicer. Have a good weekend Mr H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. Zero chemicals on this lot too.

      Delete
  4. My, you have been very busy today! Today was a slower day around here but there was still time in the garden and washing and cooking. Just not as much as usual as it was muggy and hot. I slow down in humid weather too! I find it just saps my energy. Your tomatoes look great. Two pots of my cherry tomatoes were looking good here until something had a feast on them. Think it might be the same culprit that has eaten almost all of my blueberries too. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we have to expect pests and disease with crops, but it is always disappointing hey? I thought my strawberries were getting eaten by some bird - turns out the 'bird' was 16, tall, blonde and sleeps in the 3rd bedroom!

      Delete
  5. Our Christmas left overs always create soups, we eat loads of home made soup in January. On Boxing day we have Christmas dinner soup, all the unused cooked food from the dining table is blended, seasoned and served with home made rolls, which we have after our long Boxing day morning walk along a local beach. You make housework sound so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea - except in Australia it is mid summer at Xmas and usually extremely hot....We should do Xmas in July and then use your soup trick.

      Delete
  6. Busy days are nice.......up to a point.
    Sorry you lost against June (again). Perhaps June might go to the stewpot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the soup pot has crossed my mind believe me!

      Delete
  7. You know the old saying, 'Pick your battles', I think perhaps June is a case in point. Your garden is just amazing with all the lovely fresh produce. Hope you don't get the summer fruit fly in your area. I can only grow tomatoes in winter up here in SE Qld. By now all tomatoe plants have been dug back into the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family is begging me to get some fertilized eggs to put under June......it is a bigger job than they think but.

      Delete
  8. Your so very blessed to be growing your own produce and eating from the fruit of your labour. Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about selling extra eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The choccy ice-cream looks yummo. You can never leave cupboard doors open when you are a cat owner/slave. The clean towels and sheets and quiet cosiness adds up to too much feline temptation. We had an amazing storm on Sunday. Branches down all over the place, one damaged the fence as it fell. No power for 24 hours. It was headed down Jane Allan's way after it passed us but hopefully it missed Jane and Bluey. I passed uprooted trees on the way to work this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are through the storm OK now Sherri Mac?

      Delete
  11. So now I understand why the stats on my blog went sky high on the icecream post!! So glad you enjoy it as much as we do Mr HM. Can you pls share with us how you made it chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added Cocoa powder - that's all. The whole batch only lasted 24 hours!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...