Saturday, 1 October 2016

Reinvent Your Life - PART 2



Beautiful freshly laid eggs from our hens


IN Part 1 (here) we promised that in PART 2 we would chat about a powerful method to reinvent our lives if the answer to the six-step activity was a wake-up call. We also promised to chat about making the change when all around us are not on board or there seems to be big life obstacles in the way.

So, here goes....

The single most essential key to reinventing our lives is to LEAN IN.



Bread dough taken off the hook
and beginning its first rise


We understand the concept of leaning in.....we do it at the beach as a wave approaches - we lean in. We do it on our bicycles if we want to turn a corner - we lean in. We do it when it is windy - we lean into the wind. We lean in to listen to a quiet voice. We lean in to see something a little clearer.  Leaning in is as natural as breathing in and out.

Leaning in speaks of a gentle inclining towards something. We lean in gently before we take an actual step forward - a normal physiological habit. So it is with reinventing our life - leaning in is the best way to start.

Jumping in the deep end can be scary for both ourselves and those around us, whereas leaning in is gentle and natural and helps guide where to put our first step forwards.
At a practical level, what might leaning in look like?  It might look like this:

  •   Planting a container of tomatoes instead of buying a farm
  •   Catching the bus once a week instead of selling the family car and buying everyone bikes
  •   Doing an experimental shop at Aldi instead of  announcing a family-wide austerity regime
  •   Cooking a double batch and freezing half for another time instead of running out and buying a huge new deep freeze
  •   Sun-drying a couple of loads of washing instead of running out and spending $30K on a solar system
  •   Spending 1/2 an hour dedicated time with your partner each evening  -  do the unexpected - create small delights. 
  •   Secretly stockpile the family's favourite food items - if they find out, it does not count.
  •   Starting something small and cheery which quietly replaces a less desirable habit/event/tradition
  •   Let others notice the small changes instead of us yakking about it continually, loudly and idealistically (keeping counsel with ourselves is key).
  •   Leaning in is a type of nice little secret that leaves folks around us wondering what we are up to, but sensing the underlying cheer and contentment. 
Leaning in should not cost a single penny.  Leaning in allows us to test the waters quietly.  Leaning in will let us experiment without ridicule or noticeable failure. Leaning in is commitment-free. Leaning in is not a burden and does not create burdens for others. 

'Leaning in' lets us change the course of our life in imperceptible increments.


Second rise done in the sink with
warm water. I do the second rise
in the pan I intend to bake in
lined with butter wrappers.


What if our significant other is a deterrent or detractor to reinventing our life?  

Then be totally aware of the principle of WIFM - What's In It For Me.  The other person must see very early-on the benefits for themselves.  The other person must come to this conclusion by THEMSELVES and not by our nagging or persistent ad-nauseum style rhetoric.  Think this through carefully - use some positive intrigue and strategy to create genuine WIFM.  

We already know WIFM for ourselves....others still need to have this self-revelation. Be accepting that WIFM for our significant others will most certainly not be exactly the same as our WIFM - so be it.



Into the very hot oven - I love watching the initial lift.


What if life's circumstances are too huge to let us reinvent our life? 

Then change the small details that we can change.  Too many times I have observed folks doing nothing at all to change their lives because they truly could not be bothered doing the small changes up-front.  Conversely, I have seen folk (whose life circumstances look insurmountable) doing a small line up of seemingly insignificant tiny changes and this has subsequently opened the door to other previously un-thought-of opportunities.  
Ponder on the principle of a ship or an aeroplane that changes course by a fraction of a degree. It will create a huge change in its ultimate destination. Leaning in works in exactly the same way.


35 mins later.........house is full of perfect bread smells


Leaning in allows the mind to gently and subconsciously find a leverage point to change its own long-held paradigms.



Spend some time reflecting on all of this and find ways to make it your own - lean in.


Ready to eat.  Now let me see, I  have some whipped butter
somewhere and local honey.  What a treat.



Take care dear folks - stay nice.


MrHM

21 comments:

  1. Brilliant post, my hubby thought for a long while I had gone mad because of my changing habits, he had his WIFM wobble, I slowed down my pace until he understood and now we work together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good approach Marlene. It's nice to know you are both on board

      Delete
  2. I love this post. Too many folks are put off by thinking they have to go the whole hog all at once. Small attempts, small achievable goals build confidence and slowly changes habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a "whole hog" type of guy with unfinished projects strewn through the undergrowth of of my entire life. Leaning in made me far more credible.

      Delete
  3. I love this post Mr H.M I have re read it four times now because it is so wise & well written. Its the small changes that can begin to create bigger things. Thanks for reminding me of this today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MR Homemaker you wrote: What if life's circumstances are too huge to let us reinvent our life?
    Then change the small details that we can change.

    After our son died 1 year 11 months and 3 weeks ago we were shattered. After 8 months of walking around in a "fog" we moved and it was then that I started to "do stuff" again and the first thing was make bread by hand as I found the kneading therapeutic. I did only that for a long time. And then I did LOTS of knitting of helmets for our baby grandsons. I have since moved onto growing plants and just the last month or so have begun to plant up the vegetable gardens. I also decided to get my physical health into a better place as put on 18 kg since Dan died so I have joined a group to give me support and which gives me socialization once a week as well ( I tend to live quite a reclusive life) and I have lost 4.2 kg in 3 weeks and feel better for it. Your posts are encouraging to me. Down to earth and writings I can relate to. Well done for your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a humbling post comment happyathome. Thanks you so much for sharing this with us all. Your pain becomes someone else's lifeline when it is written down and shared.

      Delete
  5. Excellent words. It can't be all or nothing. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Especially the examples you gave and it can be applied to so many things in life. Such a good way to look at things that seem so challenging. I often break down big tasks into chunks or I will tell myself that I will do five things or ten things - depending on what it is. Sometimes you aren't well or just too tired, too busy so half a degree of something is better than standing still. Well done on your weight loss btw - 1.16% - a small degree of change is all it takes. Now to look in my own back yard :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your way of leaning in. I think this is the most descriptive way of taking the small steps that lead to big changes.
    I started with making my own laundry liquid. I followed this with making soap. The changes just snowballed after this. Mind you I am talking of this being done over a period of years not days.
    Leaning in. It's something I still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....for me it was kitchen spray made in the middle of a consumerist rant about shops not being open on public holidays....the penny dropped.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Phil for your very wise words. Leaning in can apply to so many things in life. In our home we wanted to go without sugar. We started with our cups of tea and then moved onto our coffee and little by little we achieved our goal by leaning in. Blessings Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find that if my Hubby is not 100% on board I just start. When he sees it is not that bad and does not create lots of work for him he buys in much more quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful advice MrHM.

    Small steps, one day at a time.

    I started off making tiny changes and to this day I am still making changes. We are almost debt free because of the changes I made to our lives back in 2007. I love the term leaning in...perfect description!

    Thank you for sharing your wisdom :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ah yes, continual small changes. that is key.

      Delete
  11. Leaning in is such a great way of describing how we can start by making small changes. It is so easy to let our enthusiasm push us into taking on too much at once.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie from the U.P.5 October 2016 at 13:24

    All true! I was the one who would go 'whole hog' and crash and burn. When i stopped to watch how my husband painted the garage, a little every dry day, i had that aha moment. Our rolls have reversed in recent years, though. He doesn't crash and burn, but will drag his feet over trying some new-to-him-things. Maybe it's because i'm older and time seems to be going much faster?
    As an aside; i tried the soap recipe of yours and used it tonight for the first time. It soaps up beautifully! Mine didn't really harden all the way through, though. Our weather has been wet all Summer and our house is on the damp side, as well. (We run a dehumidifier all Winter long) I assume that's the cause. Regardless, i love the soap! I will be making it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soap recipe will not go super hard, it is a luxurious soap. We love it. I like your example about the garage being painted bit by bit...limited objectives.

      Delete
  13. Intellectual fodder for the heart, mind and soul...Love it...I'm off to chew the cud on that one for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...