|Beautiful freshly laid eggs from our hens|
IN Part 1 (here) we promised that in PART 2 we would chat about a powerful method to reinvent our lives if the answer to the six-step activity was a wake-up call. We also promised to chat about making the change when all around us are not on board or there seems to be big life obstacles in the way.
So, here goes....
The single most essential key to reinventing our lives is to LEAN IN.
|Bread dough taken off the hook|
and beginning its first rise
We understand the concept of leaning in.....we do it at the beach as a wave approaches - we lean in. We do it on our bicycles if we want to turn a corner - we lean in. We do it when it is windy - we lean into the wind. We lean in to listen to a quiet voice. We lean in to see something a little clearer. Leaning in is as natural as breathing in and out.
Leaning in speaks of a gentle inclining towards something. We lean in gently before we take an actual step forward - a normal physiological habit. So it is with reinventing our life - leaning in is the best way to start.
Jumping in the deep end can be scary for both ourselves and those around us, whereas leaning in is gentle and natural and helps guide where to put our first step forwards.
At a practical level, what might leaning in look like? It might look like this:
- Planting a container of tomatoes instead of buying a farm
- Catching the bus once a week instead of selling the family car and buying everyone bikes
- Doing an experimental shop at Aldi instead of announcing a family-wide austerity regime
- Cooking a double batch and freezing half for another time instead of running out and buying a huge new deep freeze
- Sun-drying a couple of loads of washing instead of running out and spending $30K on a solar system
- Spending 1/2 an hour dedicated time with your partner each evening - do the unexpected - create small delights.
- Secretly stockpile the family's favourite food items - if they find out, it does not count.
- Starting something small and cheery which quietly replaces a less desirable habit/event/tradition
- Let others notice the small changes instead of us yakking about it continually, loudly and idealistically (keeping counsel with ourselves is key).
- Leaning in is a type of nice little secret that leaves folks around us wondering what we are up to, but sensing the underlying cheer and contentment.
Leaning in should not cost a single penny. Leaning in allows us to test the waters quietly. Leaning in will let us experiment without ridicule or noticeable failure. Leaning in is commitment-free. Leaning in is not a burden and does not create burdens for others.
'Leaning in' lets us change the course of our life in imperceptible increments.
|Second rise done in the sink with|
warm water. I do the second rise
in the pan I intend to bake in
lined with butter wrappers.
What if our significant other is a deterrent or detractor to reinventing our life?
Then be totally aware of the principle of WIFM - What's In It For Me. The other person must see very early-on the benefits for themselves. The other person must come to this conclusion by THEMSELVES and not by our nagging or persistent ad-nauseum style rhetoric. Think this through carefully - use some positive intrigue and strategy to create genuine WIFM.
We already know WIFM for ourselves....others still need to have this self-revelation. Be accepting that WIFM for our significant others will most certainly not be exactly the same as our WIFM - so be it.
What if life's circumstances are too huge to let us reinvent our life?
Then change the small details that we can change. Too many times I have observed folks doing nothing at all to change their lives because they truly could not be bothered doing the small changes up-front. Conversely, I have seen folk (whose life circumstances look insurmountable) doing a small line up of seemingly insignificant tiny changes and this has subsequently opened the door to other previously un-thought-of opportunities.
Ponder on the principle of a ship or an aeroplane that changes course by a fraction of a degree. It will create a huge change in its ultimate destination. Leaning in works in exactly the same way.
|35 mins later.........house is full of perfect bread smells|
Leaning in allows the mind to gently and subconsciously find a leverage point to change its own long-held paradigms.
Spend some time reflecting on all of this and find ways to make it your own - lean in.
|Ready to eat. Now let me see, I have some whipped butter|
somewhere and local honey. What a treat.
Take care dear folks - stay nice.