Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Core Values - Peacefulness

The first flower on the capsicum bush


Sometime back we started the conversation about Core Values here.

One of my five core values is PEACEFULNESS.  Let's be quite clear up front - I do not sit around experiencing nirvana all day....so how does peacefulness work?

Of course, peacefulness can certainly be times of quiet, times of calm, times of reflection and satisfaction, times when we have no worries or demands being placed on us - all these things are external peacefulness. Real peacefulness comes from within. It cannot be bought, it cannot be borrowed or found in some illusive book per se. Peacefulness is an internal state of being.

Peacefulness can exist inside us when all around us is a roaring whirlwind of chaos. Peacefulness is that foundational sense of calm that is the bedrock of our equilibrium during personal tragedy and adversity.


The Kent pumpkins have taken off at last.


Peacefulness is largely an intentional decision to be just that - peaceful.

We have a large family, so external peacefulness can be a rarity. In fact, when everyone is quiet it usually means there is a problem brewing and has nothing to do with peacefulness!

Peacefulness is a decision to ignore the barrage of external stimuli that excites and worries the mind. Peacefulness is knowing that we have made provision for the future in the best way we can. Peacefulness is understanding and acting on our strengths.  Peacefulness is lowering our expectations of pretty much everything and everyone (who decided others need to be/do this/that/the other anyway?). Peacefulness is knowing that the only true reality is right here and now...this very moment. Peacefulness is being intentional about being part of a bigger existence - part of the whole and not individualistic. Peacefulness is moving willingly with the ebb and flow of life. Peacefulness is a direct product of contentment and in turn is the driver of gratitude.


Flowers all over the eggplant.


Personally I am a worrier, an anxious soul and a stress-head by default.  Finding and practicing internal peacefulness is therefore an absolute necessity and core value for me.  I am extremely receptive to external messages that breed doubt and anxiety (be these messages from advertising, the news, other's expectations, career, friends, society, institutions, money, technology, environmental or partner). This being the case I have learned to regularly practice some practical external actions to create calm and re-trigger an internal state of peacefulness.  

Here are some to try out:
  •   Imagining I am floating from task to task
  •   Practicing poise
  •   Being intentionally gracious
  •   Letting time pass
  •   Stopping and listening to everything around me for a couple of minutes with zero judgement - just noticing and noticing myself notice.
  •   Keeping counsel with myself and intentionally calming my urge to give advice or opinion.
  •   When something goes wrong, just saying "How fascinating!"
  •   Watch the sun rise
  •   Watch the sun set
  •   People watching
  •   Animal watching
  •   Plant/Garden gazing
  •   Knowing what part of the big picture I play
  •   Reflecting on who loves me
The tomatoes are proving to
be a bumper yield so far.


Inextricably, that internal  personal bedrock of peacefulness is at its most noticeable when all around us is chaotic and others seem over-excited and out of control.


Take care folks and stay nice.


Mr HM

8 comments:

  1. There is a beautiful quote that echoes all that you have said. "Peace is not the absence of chaos or conflict, but rather finding yourself in the midst of that chaos and remaining calm in your heart." (Anonymous) Great post! Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love watching sunsets and should try and see a few more sunrises. People watching is another favourite pass time.

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately I have become aware of just how much TV, media and advertising impact me, I become anxious about the stupidity of media reports, product placement and rubbish TV shows. I'm making a conscious effort NOT to react to this stuff, and that in itself leaves me with a type of peacefulness. It's not as easy as turning off the TV, because there are some things I enjoy about it, and TV's and advertising are every where, so it's my attitude and reaction that has to level out a bit, does take some effort though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The media (in all its guises) is a huge voice in our lives - until we stop and mindfully consider it we do not sometimes realise how big that voice is.

      Delete
  4. All good things to do when experiencing some chaos.
    The thing that gets me through stressful times is imagining the LONGEST it will be until it passes. For some odd reason, counting down the hours helps--I can say "well, in 8 hours this will all be over" and I keep counting down. Works for me, though why I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a nurse, at work I am constantly surrounded by noise, stress, hurry, people, worry, grief. My home is the exact opposite. I need my home to help balance out the way my work environment is. I can accomplish this because I have adult children. Getting to Peace at work is much harder to accomplish. Leaving the building at mealtimes helps. Being calm at all times also helps, but peace is very hard to achieve; mind over matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, such good advice, Phil. I'm going to ponder these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...