Saturday, 3 September 2016

Only 8 Paydays Till Christmas

Aha! Found one of the boxes of Christmas decorations.





Hi Folks

If you are paid fortnightly then it is only 8 pay days till Christmas. Just sayin'.

If you celebrate Christmas, then it is not too late to get organised and budgeting.  Leaving it for another payday might just tip the scales. So lets start!


Mucked out the chook house today.
This will be added to the compost
heap.



Money for Christmas:

  1.    Count your pay days till Christmas
  2.    Decide how much you will spend on presents per person
  3.    Decide how much per head you will spend on food
  4.    Add it all up and divide by the amount of paydays and that is your figure to put away each payday from now to Christmas.
So here is our example:
$100 maximum each for presents
$50 maximum each for food
9 people x $150 each = $1350
$1350 divided by 8 pay days = $168.75

So each payday from now to Christmas I need to squirrel away $168.75 with out fail.
The fun will be to get the best value out of each dollar


Time to transplant these Kent
pumpkins seedlings




Frugal Ideas for Christmas:


  •    Iron and reuse wrapping paper
  •    Use newspaper to wrap with natural string - (the quintessential gift wrap)
  •    Make your own Christmas cards
  •    Start making something for gifts instead of buying it  - there is enough time still.
  •    Reuse last years decorations - have a no-new-deco's policy this year
  •    Sing carols on your street and invite the neighbours (costs nothing)
  •    Start a Christmas tradition that costs nothing
  •    Have fun seeing which shops put up their Christmas sales/merchandise/decorations first!
  •    Buy your Christmas food now and stockpile or freeze it - it is cheaper now than in December.
  •    Think about celebrating Christmas using Eastern Orthodox dates in January....all your decorations and presents can be bought super cheap in post Christmas sales
  •    Make Christmas about acts of service to your community rather than all about you.
  •    Have a stay-at-home Christmas this year - no travel.


I have had to fence of my
self-watering vegetable boxes.
The chooks think they are a buffet
breakfast.


I am heaps curious to hear your tips and ideas on Christmas budgeting and Christmas frugality too.

Take care and stay nice.

Mr HM

13 comments:

  1. I like your budget breakdown for Christmas. It can be such an expensive holiday! Gifts are definitely an area of our budget where potential savings lurk. I have a present box where I stockpile little handmade gifts that I pick up at markets and stalls. I have also been knitting little gifts like washcloths, which I like to give with beautifully scented soap. As far as Xmas food goes, we share the cost with our family. So someone will provide meat/salads and someone else will contribute fruit/dessert etc. That way it's a shared thing and cost isn't all one family's responsibility. One thing I do too is save up the loyalty cards I get from my preferred butcher and use those to purchase roasting chickens. I try to have at least two of these in freezer before Christmas ready to use over festive season. My other tactic is to simply avoid shopping centres because if you aren't there, you can't be tempted by impulse buys! Meg:)


    I am making many gifts this year so my knitting needles have been clicking and clacking away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound totally under control there Meg... a heap of good ideas. thank you for sharing them.

      Delete
  2. We don't really do cards. Stockings are for the children. And in those are a mixture of practical and fun little things which will keep them busy during the morning. Those bits can be bought throughout the year. We do a secret Santa for anyone over 18 who wishes to participate. I do put aside extra for drinks but not for food as that comes out of the food account. I just have to be a bit more creative. One of my sons buys a tree as he lives here. We have and artificial one which will resurface when he moves out. Each year I buy or make an ornament for the tree or a decoration for the house. The kids make some out of foil, paper or card. None of it costs much. For our part we mostly give money for the children to do something as they have plenty of presents from others and quite honestly it makes me feel ill to see all that overflowing from under the tree -its too much..... Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making your own tree decoration piqued my interest. My girls have some beautiful decorations they got from Europe a couple of years ago when they saved up and went on the cheap....these they will keep when hey move out of home and pass them down to their children. The plastic ornament regime no longer delights me

      Delete
  3. I buy any new decorations in January each year when they are on sale, I have lovely new ones this year. Plus I always get a box of good crackers at half price. We start buying our extra food required in October, after our September holiday. We try not to over buy things. There is a cash limit on all presents, we started this a few years ago, and nobody minds, I fact a few were relieved. So by December we have every thing sorted except the fresh veg and fruit. T works for us, like your post it's all about the planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so fortunate in that hubby and I don't exchange gifts, and I just have ONE child (who LOVES a check more than anything!!). Great ideas for saving some money at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder. We make Christmas about family and not things. We don't do cards, presents or decorations (I see plenty in the shops!). I'd rather put the money into good food with family :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I do not have little ones running around I only save about 500 dollars to do food and gifts. We don't spend a whole lot on stuff here. I mostly just want to have my son and his girlfriend and her son for dinner and a few sing a longs and drinks. My dinner is a simple, turkey assorted veggies and gravy. I like to keep the expense to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mr HM,
    I can feel it creeping up on me, but 8 paydays to go? My goodness! I've been making gifts all year like felt tree decorations, lip balm, bath bombs, bath salts and homemade preserves. I only have a couple more 'family' gifts baskets to make and I spend $100 each on my kids. Some of the things I do to save are: letting my Fly Buys points accumulate until the end of the year. This pays for our ham, turkey roll, drinks and dessert stuff. Soon I'll start stocking up on baking ingredients so I can make rocky road, shortbread, rum balls and other treats for gifts. I stock up on wrapping paper, sticky tape and bon bons in the post Xmas sales. Currently I have enough of all of these for the next few years. I also agree with your idea of not buying any new decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I want my neighbours to keep speaking to me I better go sing carols on someone else's street! Someone on TV recently mentioned the idea of striking hydrangea's and potting them up for Christmas pressies. I think it was on Gardening Australia. I am trying to strike some lavender cuttings so I may use some of those as Christmas gifts - if they grow - and if I can bear to part with any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family is in NZ and Hubbys are here. We only buy for the family we are seeing for Christmas that year. For both families we all only buy for 1 person in the family with a budget of $75 per person. This means as a couple we spend $150 per couple on the other adults in the family. We then buy for any children of which there are 3 on one side and one on the other and we normally keep that to $20 per child. I do send a lot of Xmas cards which normally comes to another $100 and we don't upgrade decorations and some I have had since a kid. Hubby and I normally spend about $30 each on the other on small treats (Hubby loves mint chocolate which I hate so he usually gets some of that plus a tee shirt or something practical) to go in our home made Christmas stockings. I make lots of foodie treats for Christmas during the year. Overall we do not normally spend more than $500 on Christmas and I feel that is plenty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...