Saturday, 17 September 2016

Lunatics and KitchenAid



I swapped some freshly grown fennel for some of our eggs with a work colleague


Let me tell you about me and the moon.  All my life I have been affected by the moon.  I cannot explain it....it is what it is.  At full moon I always, without exception pull an all-nighter. Our bedroom has double-backed curtains that block out 100% of light, but to no avail....I will not sleep at full moon.  It is the joke of the family of course with Dad up and about all night during full moon. I'm the family lunatic.....quite literally.


Full moon in the early evening.


But it was not the full moon that made us buy a KitchenAid.  Departing with $700 for a KtchenAid would be the last thing on earth I would do, however I do respect that they are a high quality product and will last a lifetime.  I am a big believer in buying the best that you can afford.....but not a new KitchenAid. A wonderful piece of serendipity appeared this week with us being offered a demonstrator model with a tiny scratch on it for $150. We are now grateful owners of a new KitchenAid (it came still wrapped in the box etc) and this will last us a lifetime.  Our family are all avid cooks and bakers from scratch so this machine will get a full and meaningful life.  My guess is that it will never be put away in the cupboard and will live permanently on the kitchen bench.


Our new KitchenAid.
Can you see the scratch? No, neither
can I.


In other news, the veggies are growing riotously, even the three poor capsicum plants which the chooks completely dug up roots and all in search of a worm.....I replanted them, they sulked badly for a week but have now bounced back - lucky. Chicken stew was on the menu for that week, but never eventuated! All is forgiven.


The tomatoes bushes in their
self-watering tub



Here are the same tomatoes a few short
weeks ago. Self watering boxes are
such a success so far.


Blackie the old blind hen has definitely started laying again.  It is just impossible to get 7 eggs a day out of 6 hens unless she is also laying.  I would be totally happy for her to retire, but no, she is not going to be out done by the new girls.  Poor Blackie, she is also getting a bit arthritic (do hens even get arthritic?) as she has lots of trouble moving faster than a ponderous walk and often sleeps in the hay rather than trying to jump up onto the perch.  One of the other hens however is very devoted to her and is always by her side showing her where fresh weeds and bugs are - a fascinating dynamic that I have never seen in hens before.


The new flat pack 'bar' now finally
assembled in the outside dining area


OK, so I had better toddle off and get the washing hung out in the beautiful spring breeze, get a cake in the oven for morning tea, do my once-a-week watering of the veggie boxes, I still have not transplanted all the Kent pumpkins so this must  happen today.  I swapped some eggs for some fennel this week with a work colleague and convinced another colleague to start making soap....ah, the word is slowly spreading.


Take care folks and stay nice.

Mr HM

13 comments:

  1. Mr.HM that was a great buy with the Kitchenaid! They are very expensive aren't they? I walked past one in Myer the other day and told myself not to be tempted as I don't bake much these days and don't really need another appliance on the bench. However, if my children were growing up it might have been a different kettle of fish although I wouldn't have been able to afford one then as I was paying school fees :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are feeling very grateful indeed. I just noticed that they are made in USA....that is a nice change to where everything else seems to be getting made these days.

      Delete
  2. Mr HM I totally understand you and the moon, my husband has always been affected too so I can always tell when it is the full moon. Love the plant boxes I must get round to making some myself. Sharlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr HM I worked in kitchenware for many years and was given a kitchen aid that was slightly marked as a Xmas bonus one year. That was over 13 years ago and it is still going strong. Yes they are expensive but I use mine to knead pasta and bread dough, grind meat, make sausages and do lots of baking. I have had it serviced (yes you can do that with a kitchen aid) once and it cost about $100. Most people I know who own one have it their entire lives so I think you go an absolute bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona - I am looking forward to this appliance seeing me out. Rather a rare event in our house!

      Delete
  4. What an absolute bargain! I would have snatched it up at that price too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beauty of the internet, our gardens are full of harvest and other parts winding down, your are full of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "... the word is slowly spreading." I love and agree with this. Change is a slowly coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading this post today. It's cold and rainy, and it was lovely to read so much good stuff happening in your life. Except for the werewolf tendencies though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....hmmm, maybe that is what accounts for the increasing back-hair :-)

      Delete
  8. It is interesting when I slow down and pay attention I realise a lot of people are affected by the full moon and exhibit behaviour that is quite different than normal. Good on you with for getting the KitchenAid at such a terrific price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Full moon? Channeling your inner Werewolf? (just kidding). I love looking at a full moon. Am always tempted to pull a chair up to the window and gaze at it's beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dream of a kitchen aid. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough for a bargain to swing my way, nice one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...