Thursday, 22 September 2016

I Want My Money Back!




GET ready for a shock folks.

What if we got back all the money we ever spent on take away food (even the healthy stuff)?

I have done a rough, yet conservative calculation of an average office worker who buys a morning coffee every day and an egg'n'bacon roll for breakfast. They also buy a salad sandwich, muffin and juice for lunch on week days only and goes out for a cheap pub dinner once a week. They also do a round of beers at the pub on a Friday night to relax and usually also buy a bag of chips and a choccy bar each day.  Nothing unusual about this regime.

Here are the numbers crunched......staggering

TAKE AWAY ITEM
FREQUENCY
ITEM COST
WEEKLY
ANNUALLY
Coffee
daily
$4.50
$31.50
$1,638.00
Breakfast
daily
$5.00
$35.00
$1,820.00
Lunch
week days
$8.00
$40.00
$2,080.00
Dinner
weekly
$25.00
$25.00
$1,300.00
Pub Drinks
weekly
$40.00
$40.00
$2,080.00
Snacks
daily
$5.00
$25.00
$1,300.00
Weekly Total


$196.50
Annual Total


$10,414.50
Five Year Total


$52,072.50
Ten Year Total


$104,145.00
Twenty Year total


$208,290.00
Working Life Total


$468,652.50


........and that is just based on a single person.

Double that for a working couple and it is pushing pretty close to a MILLION dollars over a working lifetime.

I'll leave it at that.  The math is too shocking to contemplate.



Beats a pub meal hands down every time.



Take care folks and stay amazed (and nice).

Mr HM

13 comments:

  1. yes that is quite the shocker, though didn't realize how much, wow, that's your own home right there! what a waste!
    like they say, every little bit does add up!
    great post!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - we have eaten away an entire family home or our retirement funds

      Delete
  2. It is shocking isn't it. I do think though that the more you have to spend, the more you spend without thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wake up post, I always have breakfast at home but I'm amazed at how many people eat breakfast at their desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr. HM,

    Although I live in Europe, the reality is not so different around here. The numbers are really schocking, I wish that many people I know would have the chance to stop and think about. But... while some are too busy with their corporate lifes, others just go with the flow. I'm happy to be out of that math :)
    Thank you for sharing!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula.
      You are right - it is so wide-spread now. Even those that claim to be poor will always get their coffee and snacks. I am all for the occasional treats, but a consistent daily habit of purchasing food has a terrible price to pay.

      Delete
  5. Holy mackerel! I'm showing this to my takeaway-obsessed children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it doesn't take long for eating out to add up does it? Sometimes its a lovely treat for our "date night" at home, but even then we always pop the kids to bed early and treat ourselves to take away just Grant and I. That way we are buying only enough for two rather then five. Its an easy way to save big $$$ isn't it? :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why I always pack my lunch. But it was hard to be social when everyone else was eating out every day. I used to go for lunch on Fridays just so I would be part of the team. Now where I work everyone bring lunch or at least gets takeaway so we can all eat together in the lunch room and I never feel pressured, nice to see how much I am saving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some scary numbers. Until a few months ago I would have a treat of a Chai Latte when I did the shopping. This treat went up a dollar in a week. I decided that I could buy a tin of the chai latte powder for the same price and enjoy many cups.
    I like keeping the money in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just gave this post to my 14 year old son to read It made such an impression on him and really got us talking about this subject Thank you so much for posting it It should be required reading for everyone!!! Love your blog and really appreciate rhe effort you put into it. Please keep writing!! Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley - comments like yours here makes blogging about this type of thing utterly satisfying. The potential to just change the course of a single person's life by introducing a topic is exactly what I hope for from my ramblings here.

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness me, those figures are gob smacking! I will be saving this and showing it to others :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...