Thursday, 29 September 2016

EASIEST DIY LAUNDRY LIQUID


The three active ingredients and the bottle awaiting to be filled


FOR those of us that hate grating soap and standing around whilst it dissolves in boiling water (ain't nobody got time for that!), here is what I believe to be the simplest, quickest laundry liquid recipe ever.

Ingredients:

1 x cup of dish washing detergent (the $1 stuff from Aldi is fine)
1/2 cup of washing soda (not bicarb soda)
1/2 cup of borax
10 litres of hot tap water (the heat helps the powders dissolve real quick)


Borax, washing soda and dish washing
detergent - that's it


Method:

Mix it all up till it dissolves (highly technical....please re read carefully!)


How to use:

1/4 cup per wash. Perhaps 1/3 cup for very large loads.


Someone had a birthday
and got flowers


Cost per Litre:

About 18 cents per litre


How many washes from 10 litres:

At 1/4 cup per wash  - 40 washes from this recipe.


Cost per wash:

4.5 cents


That ain't 'Surf' in that bottle.
Nice frugal effective DIY
laundry liquid instead.


Not convinced?  Make a small batch and try it out.  I promise you it will not break the bank! Ha.



Take care folks and stay nice.


Mr HM

More flowers for the birthday girl

14 comments:

  1. Debbie in the U.P.30 September 2016 at 07:36

    So, if i only use half of the water, i need use only half of the 1/4 c. per load for the same price per load? I should still get the same amount of loads, correct? (Math is not my strong suit…) I think i'm going to try this when my next bottle gets used up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep if you half the water but not the active ingredients then you would only need to use 1/8th cup. Correct

      Delete
  2. Birthdays are thick on the ground in your neck of the woods Mr HM, best wishes to the birthday girl. Nice recipe, but I don't get the method - too complicated! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - the method can be tricky ;-)

      Delete
  3. I really need to make some soon but use a different recipe. We use our grey water so don't include borax. I remember when I used to listen to Shannon Lush on the car radio on the way home from work that she often mentioned Lectric Washing Soda. I had never heard of it before so did a search of the supermarket shelves. There it was hidden away in the corner on the bottom shelf :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is not a common consumerist product!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Phil, I have just been thinking that I would like to try making laundry liquid - I used to make the powder one and it is rather time consuming, and so is the boiled one - this one looks super easy... I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used a couple of other recipes but never this one so I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this depends on where you live as to how well it works I live on the west coast of
    Tassie and was making my own [from Rhonda Hetzels book ] and it did not work here the clothes always had a musty smell so after trying for 6 months went back to commercial washing powder .
    It rains here a lot so I think that is an issue as you either use a dryer [which I try not too] or you hang them inside on a clothes rack can only use the clothesline for a few months of the year.
    I wish it did work for us as it saves a lot of money.
    Tassie Mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, I cant wait to try this! So simple, but will it work well enough for my grubby family? I hope so!

    Thanks Phil!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Phil, I have been wanting to make this for a while now, I have been making the one with a cake a sard soap and it can be difficult to completely dissolve. I have also had problems with my last two batches of laundry liquid being too watery even though I used the exact same recipe. Any use what causes it to be too watery? Thanks again for a great shortcut! Have a great day.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  9. That should read "any idea" what causes it to be too watery?
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The viscosity of the mix depends entirely on the ingredients of the soap you use. Using this recipe in the blog means the viscosity will be 100% watery - it is the effectiveness not the viscosity that counts. If you use grated soap then the viscosity will be dependent on the % of glycerin in the soap. (Homemade soap is very high in glycerin and will give a lovely smooth consistency - store bought soap is low in glycerin and will give you a lumpy consistency that will need to be shaken/stirred before using.

      Delete
  10. Thanks Phil, that makes complete sense. I have made this "recipe" and I love it. I have added about 2 tablespoons of eucalyptus oil as well, for fragrance.
    Kind regards
    Fi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...