Friday, 12 August 2016

When The Message Sinks In.....



I had a private smile to myself tonight whilst the family was watching a spot of after-dinner TV.

An ad came on for some lovely spec' home showing stunning visuals of the perfect suburban home flicking across the screen - the punchline being uttered by a thoroughly contented 'wife' along the lines of "Just imagine....a home of our own!" (or some such contrived drivel). Dear daughter #4 absent-mindedly mutters under her breath "Yeah, and enter into a life time of crippling debt...hmmmm".

I smiled because the reaction of my DD#4 was totally unscripted and not said to draw attention - it was a genuine yet subconscious reaction to the ad'. It is moments like these when you know that the message is sinking in.


Homemade vinegar


Then I got to thinking about other things my children do that show me in small ways that the message of thrift, frugality and self reliance are quietly having an effect......I love how they all like to cook from scratch. I love it how they sneak out and check the progress of vegetables growing in the garden for their own satisfaction and not to just humour me.  I love it when I get text messages from my fashion-conscious 18 year old about how many eggs got laid today. I love it when oh-so-very-educated-and-smart 22 year old asks if we are making another self-watering vegetable box this coming weekend. I love it when our no-I'm-not-coming-out-of-my-bedroom-ever 16 year old finishes painting her nails and then goes and mucks out the rabbit cage and inspects the compost heap. I love it when savvy-business-owner 25 year old bursts through the door utterly excited at the cook books she has scored for a dollar each. I love it that academic-nurse-student-come-artist 20 year old has taught herself to make drop dead delicious pastry from scratch, squeals at new strawberries and sneaks spoonfuls "yucky" homemade yoghurt when she thinks I'm not looking.


Making up a self-watering tomato
box with materials at hand.


It's these little indicators that tell me all is well in our family 'garden'.

Enjoy your weekend folks - take care and stay nice.


Mr HM.



16 comments:

  1. You have obviously gotten the message through--good for you!
    We need more people-ettes in the world like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect produce, you are a good family gardener, our children (adults) are a total product of their environment, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....now to try and instill some other missing virtues!

      Delete
  3. Of value far above rubies and gold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on Phil, have a great weekend.
    Blessings Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they come up with some real corkers in advertising. "Just Imagine", or "this could all be yours". It's called the bait and hook. And it's meant to real you into the product they're marketing. I do think home ownership is possible, but it has nothing to do with imagination - and everything to do with practical research, for personal circumstances.

    Marketing likes to treat us all the same though, which isn't very helpful.

    I love it when my son reaches for the peas we grow, and knows how to open them, to eat the sweet morsels inside. So I can appreciate how validating it is as a parent, that some of what we're teaching, is being absorbed.

    It's far more pleasurable when our children join in, with what we know is beneficial for them. Well done to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and it will be these good memories that will stay with the for life and hopefully be passed on to the next generation.

      Delete
  6. You must be very proud of all your children...and yourself for instilling such wisdom! I think it's wisdom that will stand them in really good stead (and keep them out of debt). Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they are pretty normal children full of faults and foibles ....but yeah, I am proud that this message is being instilled.

      Delete
  7. had a good giggle at this post! so glad that the rest of the family is getting into the simple life for you, contentment at it's best
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. This gives me hope! Currently my Miss 17 never lifts a finger to do any form of housework unless asked, Mr 14 tells me we "live too cheaply" and that hubby and I have the hobbies of an elderly couple- you know gardening,woodwork, sewing etc. So far Mr 10 is the only child on board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just quietly continue on Mel. It took me 30 years before I understood my parent's frugality and thrift. Never underestimate the power of example even if it takes decades to blossom.

      Delete
  9. This is what family life is all about Mr HM - heritage. Inheriting skills and attitudes and passing them down the line so the next generation has something more solid to build on than the last.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was truly a fascinating point and I kinda concur with what you have said here! HOA Management Services

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...