Thursday, 18 August 2016

A Little Holiday



We stopped on a drive and pretended we owned this beautiful
property with the cliffs in the distance 


THE better half and I are on a little holiday up in the Blue Mountains in NSW Australia.  We have left the family to tend to the house with the instructions of "No parties and no ice statues (!)" and "Remember to collect the eggs"....so all should be well - ha!

A beautiful little cafe in Katoomba.
The dandelion latte was delicious

Waterfall near Leura - a very
spiritual place, instantly calming


Both of us agreed that despite having a grueling financial plan over the next 18 months we still need to take some budget holidays from time to time and blow away the cobwebs.  This holiday, whilst seeming to be 'fancy' has actually been done well and truly on the cheap.  We have relished drives deep into gorges, enjoyed open farm land, happily have drunk in the cuteness of villages and towns in the area, visited antique stores (have only spend $29 thus far...phew), shared a serve of Devonshire tea and scones, picked up some of my favourite inch-liquorice from the antique candy store ($3) and have rented out a little cottage on the grounds of an old convent - gorgeous.


A stunning view.....

So quiet....

So unspoiled....


Unwinding much.


Take care folks and stay nice.


Mr (and Mrs) HM

An old butter churn for sale
at an antique store. Sadly I did not have
a spare $400 (!)

18 comments:

  1. It sounds as though you are having a grand time! The Blue Mountains are beautiful. We spent our honeymoon there, twenty years ago. Enjoy the rest of your "little holiday".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you both enjoy your holiday. The scenery looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so important to take some time to just enjoy life....and really, most of the enjoyable things are quite cheap to do as well. Hope the house is standing when you get home. If it is, well, you know you've been a success as parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....as long as there is not a mess to come home to, I will be more than satisfied. The veggies are all self watering so nothing to worry about there.

      Delete
  4. Do enjoy your little break. You and your wife deserve it and I am sure the chooks will keep the girls in check ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you! Hope you have a lovely weekend away! It takes self control to walk past things in antique shops at times doesn't it, if it's any consolation I saw one similar recently locally for about $80 so the one your looking at it possibly well over priced. ;) I didn't but the one locally either, as I figured for me it is a romantic notion I wouldn't use, when I have an electrical appliance which will already do it. Very beautiful though!!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....there is no way I would pay that for it anyway - just me trying to be facetious :-)

      Delete
  6. My husband proposed to me on a weekend away to the Blue Mountains...many years ago...so it holds special memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a nice time of year now to be out in the country. It looks marvellous and I love looking out to the mountains. Happy travels to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great break,Phil, I think it's called making memories. Aren't they the best holidays anyway.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....we are unwinding very fast. Catching up on lots of sleep too. The cold mountain air makes us sleep very soundly.

      Delete
  9. I love holidays and be they big or little they let you re charge your batteries. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your special time together. You've done some hard yards parenting for some 20 plus years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see you're both enjoying your break away from home. Any chance of some pics and more info about the cottage you're renting? Sounds idyllic and you probably found a bit of a bargain with that too. I've been twice to the Blue Mtns and absolutely fell in love with the entire area. Last year we stayed in Blackheath, in our caravan, and did the touristy Katoomba thing with all of the rides..!!! Not usually our thing, and was a bit of a splurge, but we enjoyed it regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted some more pics Sally. Enjoy. More to come too

      Delete
  12. The mountains is where I call home! I am bias when I say it is the best place in the world :)
    Enjoy you time. Mother Nature works wonders for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My late uncle used to run a washing machine repair shop at Hazelbrook for 30 or 40 years. Yes, the mountains are like another world.

      Delete
  13. Dear Mr HM,
    Have a wonderful time away! For future trips I highly recommend using Air BNB. Last year my family and I stayed in a gorgeous house down south. It was very cheap compared to other renting a unit/chalet from a big company.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...