Thursday, 7 July 2016

Delicious Dysfunctionality


A delightful craft box that gets regularly used and rifled through at our place


SOMETIMES when we read certain blogs we willingly allow ourselves to get so lost in the delights of perfectly posed photos, the ironed table cloths, the unnaturally straight rows of vegetables in the garden, the uniformly folded tea towel, the manicured puppy and the spotless kitchen that we can easily vapourise our sense of reality.  At our house we are simply dysfunctional....deliciously dysfunctional.

One of the aims of this blog is to try and keep it real. Yes, we yell down the hallway at each other, we grumble about whoever it is that always leaves a single remaining square on the loo roll (if I ever work out who it is...watch out!), we snark about who has done the most loads of washing and we roll our eyes if it is our turn to clear the dishes away.  Our windows shine...but once a year and our lawn gets mowed about half as frequently as it should. Yes, there are weeds...several....actually, lots. Occasionally things get shoved under the bed and pencils certainly reside under the sofa cushions. So what.


The $50 freezer needs a defrost and
a proper reorganisation


Trying to live the picture perfect life is just nonsense. Trying to convince others that we live it is just pure craziness. Even the Queen rumples the bedclothes, creates washing, has dirty dishes, spills the odd cuppa and has to deal with dog hair and the occasional leaking pen.

Consumerism would have us believe that it is 'but the work of a moment' to live a life straight out of the pages of a magazine, prepare amazing food with the flick of the wrist and have a linen cupboard that looks like an aisle at Harrods. Consumerism tells us if we just buy this or that product then it is all possible. Ha. Whatever. Not.


Tonight's dinner was chicken drumettes in homemade simmer sauce


Those of us with little children understand that we have to be content with knowing that the house is clean underneath the mess and that the lounge room was tidy for 3 minutes at some point during the day. Those of us with teenagers know that the pantry was full and organise earlier in the week and that running out of milk and phone credit is pretty normal as is having two jars of peanut butter opened and being used. There will be butter in the honey. Those of us that work a trade know that boots are gonna smell and grease and grim is a happening thing. Partners of electricians know that the kitchen power socket is probably going to stay loose for a bit longer yet in much the same way as the carpenter's back verandah probably needed replacing two summers ago. The being 'tired' thing is also real.....very real, so some nights the dishes will just have to wait. Yes, despite the lofty intentions of cooking from scratch every day at some point in the year pizza will most certainly be ordered.


Creative clutter....I am told.


It is life direction and intention that count, not perfection and closely guarded illusion.  We will always be deliciously dysfunctional at our place whilst still quietly achieving important-to-us changes towards being well grounded, frugal, generous, helpful and wholesomely earthy.

Take care folks and stay nice.


Mr HM




27 comments:

  1. I felt right at home reading this post Phil.

    Here I sit with damp washing hanging everywhere, a book or two laying around, knitted squares placed in an organised order on the floor, vacuum cleaner still sitting in the passage etc....

    Deliciously dysfunctional? Oh yes!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I knew you would be right amongst the 'keeping it real' group of folk!

      Delete
  2. Nice reminders, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi , i agree with everything you have put, some days i say to my grow up kids.Why for 1 day can my house not be like the magazines perfect,no mess, there answers is because it wouldn't be a home,its cosy and loved,that told me lol. My son is a fishmonger the smell is unbelievable but am used to it now.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I know that when mine move out and get their own place that this is when they will truly learn and understand. The school of life is pretty handy in that way!

      Delete
  4. The corners of my mouth twitched upwards, and by the time I had finished reading this post I was smiling. As I sit here, last nights dishes are looking at me from the sink (I was tired) the lounge room floor is littered with toys (it is school holidays after all) there's a pile of ironing that's been staring at me for days...ok I lied...weeks...ok I lied again, it never gets empty, it's in a perpetual state of being refilled, it stays permanently up in the lounge room, until I have guests coming over then I stash it in the spare room.

    Yes, you are my kinda people Phil...normal! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah!! We have defined normal :-) We only iron just before use....and only if required.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Phil, and here I've been beating myself up because I have not created a healthy, perfect meal for supper tonight. Perhaps leftovers and ? (I might just eat ice cream cones!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftovers rock Joy! ....and they always seem to taste better too.

      Delete
  6. I don't have a blog, however, I really get the living a regular life. I used to live in a townhouse and I spend much of m time trying to make it look perfect. What a waste of time, but it also never felt like home - always felt temporary. It turns out it was and now that we have moved into a real house (older) with real house issues, it really looks lived in and definitely is home. With all its lumps and bumps and I love it. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ranee - great to see your comment. Lumps and bumps is what it is all about - embrace them :-)

      Delete
  7. I currently have pine shavings scattered throughout the house as we have 26 three week old chicks and that stuff gets everywhere. Now, I could be spending my time doing some extra vacuuming, but I choose to spend it with my new girls instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it a classic Mel! I have a very clear visual of this - ha ha!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this post Phil, a great reminder to tweak our expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true. Home is definitely a place for living life, which is messy. As you say it is direction and intention that count. And I don't think because one's house is not perfectly kept in every sense at every moment equals having a bad work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear wife has a wall plaque that states "Dull women have immaculate houses". Whilst this is not always true it certainly pokes fun at 'perfect' lives.

      Delete
  10. I chucked, my house at the moment is cheerfully chaotic with the renos. Its beyond dirty, my bathroom floor is covered in mud, as the renos are right outside, I have given up cleaning it until the kitchen is done. Then I will crack the whip and we will deep clean the place top to bottom! There is washing drying, we will never live in a show home, and that's just fine by me.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emma. You are just going to have to block your nose and shut your eyes for a while linger yet. I have enjoyed your photo diary on the forum too.

      Delete
  11. Oh yes!!! Spot on! Life happens in Homes, and that what we live in, a home. Not a house that is perfect in every way, and no one actually cooks or "lives' there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No picture perfect garden here or a spotless house although I would like to have it looking a little bit more spotless :-) Just keep it real, Mr.HM...that's the best way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are Nanna Chel. Real can be something a bit different depending on the day too.

      Delete
  13. My washing is always hanging in the living areas. Because it's easier than taking it out to the clothes line. My house looks like I'm taking in everyone's laundry in the street. Permanent imperfection, I'm afraid. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of laundry has a tale to tell....whilst others are cold and in tatters, we are doing very well. I can just visualise your laundry-laden home Chris :-)

      Delete
  14. Yes, yes, yes and yes again!

    A great post, and just as brilliant comments!

    Life with three young ones it seems keeping things clean and in order is a neverending job.
    At the moment I am taking advantage of conveniences like disposable nappies, ordering pizza sometimes, using my dryer instead of the washing line. But it won't always be this way. I am aiming for 'better' each month.
    Life, like people, is a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have heaps to be proud of jay. Don't dimish your successes by a handful of temporary conveniences that you choose to utilise just at the moment. We all do simple and frugal in our own way.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...