Sunday, 10 July 2016

A Comfy Sunday Evening


Toast for tea after a big Sunday lunch


We are having some planned down-time today. Sunday lunch has just been finished and we are settling in for a deliciously quiet evening.  Normally weekends are whirl of activity getting all those projects done around the house and yard that have been ignored during the working week. We often throw ourselves into bed at midnight on a Sunday exhausted but satisfied.....but not today we don't.


Our hearty Sunday lunch roast


We made today's Sunday lunch the main meal of the day today.  We had roast chicken with roasted curried pumpkin, roast creamy Desiree potatoes, roast honey carrots, young Brussel sprouts fried with garlic, sesame seeds and bacon bits, homemade pan gravy and butter for the spud.  For dessert there was hot banana and pear cake with honey and cinnamon cream  topped with beautiful ice cream bought on special.  For this entire meal the only part that was not made from scratch was the ice cream. Raisin toast and a cuppa for dinner tonight me thinks.

Hot banana and pear pudding
topped with honey and cinnamon
cream and ice cream


Yesterday and this morning have been busy. Chooks were attended to, endless loads of washing done then sun-dried and folded, deep freezer defrosted then repacked, fridge/freezer totally emptied then wiped down and repacked, the last of the boxes of kitchen stuff was unpacked and put away,  yoghurt was made from scratch, brewed-weed fertiliser was made, compost was turned, tomatoes were planted in new wicking boxes, fences repaired, meals for the week ahead cooked, totally rearranged the lounge room (including moving the piano - puff, puff).....and now it is time to stop. Enough.

The kettle corner - keep those hot teas and coffees coming!


The long afternoon winter sun filtering through into the lounge room.
The mood is gentle and reflective.  I expect Mr Badger to shuffle
in soon and sleepily mumble something about hedgehogs.


This afternoon and this evening will be spent in the newly arranged lounge room. Reading will be relished, there will be crocheting happening, eBay and Gumtree looked at (looking for an antique reed organ to restore and have something specific in mind), small acreages in NSW will be poured over online and discussed. Cuppa teas will be sipped, the lamp will be glowing softly in the corner, the piano will be played (I am practicing a new piece of Chopin), a box of ornaments will be leisurely unpacked and arranged in the lounge room, cushions will be fluffed, wraps and rugs will be draped over knees as conversation rises and falls into companionable silence. There will be the odd person snoozing off for 40 winks now and then, tennis might be watched later on with the volume down real low, the sewing machine will rattle along in the adjoining room as 'something' takes shape and biscuits and cake will be a high probability during the evening.  Thoughts of Monday will be actively eschewed, favourite blogs quietly read and our dreams, hopes and plans will be chatted over. Smiles will be traded across the room, secrets whispered and I will be keeping council with myself here and there. Lists and notes will be jotted down, notations made on music scores, pencils will be chewed absentmindedly and someone will get the hiccups for sure.


Her special corner.
Note the work laptop tightly closed
and the craft within handy reach for a
quiet relaxing evening.


It will be a delicious afternoon and evening of undisturbed down time - long overdue and deeply needed for a healthy equilibrium.

I hope you get to have a Sunday evening that is just lovely in whatever way you choose too.


Take care folks - stay nice.

Mr HM

23 comments:

  1. Our roast chicken is baking in the oven as I write this...delicious smells wafting in to where I sit from the kitchen. I like to make a roast for dinner on a Sunday night so there's leftovers to eat during the week. There'll be enough for dinner tonight, lunches tomorrow and Tuesday too. Then I'll make soup using the chicken bones. I always feel quite rich when I'm eating a roast dinner...When I studied at Uni, I would pool my money with the other two girls I lived with, and we'd splurge on a chicken to roast up. On those nights, we ate like queens:)Kind of made up for the two-minute noodles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left overs for lunches makes good frugal sense Meg.

      Delete
  2. That's what I call 'home'.
    One day a week rest day is perfect and ideal, glad you observed it:)
    Wishing you a productive and successful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. Without time out I always feel diminishing returns for my efforts.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely relaxing day. Sunday's always used to be like that. I think I will try and make them like that again. My Sunday's always seem to be taken up catching up on the week's chores or doing the supermarket shop. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there are always chores....hmmmmm. A conscious decision to stop needs to be made otherwise I just go, go, go

      Delete
  4. That's what I call the Perfect Life. Yes!
    Funny, in my youth I thought shopping and nightlife were "it"...
    Thank goodness I realized -it really IS the simple things in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A much desired moment in the week Sue. it does not always happen but I should try to ensure it does.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful afternoon you have described. The last couple of weekends I have spent some time reading novels and staring at the garden. We have had a lot of wild ducks visiting which is a good excuse for a bit of bird watching. I have been enjoying my down time very much. I hope your household enjoys their well deserved down time today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bird life is the perfect excuse to just stop and be. Fully support that one Sherri!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a lovely Sunday evening! It's making me want some cozy winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very winter here now Julie - frost again this morning and snow down in the south of the state

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an old fashioned Sunday afternoon from my youth...aahh...lets all petition to have shops closed on a Sunday, so we can all return to a day of rest, the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shops closed on Sunday and Saturday afternoon was the norm, yes. I think consumerism has a vice grip on things staying open all week now Cheryl

      Delete
  8. Mr.HM, that certainly was a hearty meal and what a lovely Sunday you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearty meals beat fancy food any time Nanna Chel

      Delete
  9. It was so relaxing even just reading this post. Our Sunday was very much the same, a quiet afternoon, a little kip and then relaxing by the fire with needle in hand and my mister down the other end of the house watching tv and dozing off, before heading out to put the chickens away and close up for the evening. A couple more logs on the fire and a lovely peace that settles so well on Sunday evening. Have a great week to you and yours my friend.
    Blessings Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. logs on the fire. We do not have a wood fire in this house (mores the pity). There is nothing quite like the heat off a wood combustion heater.

      Delete
  10. Perfect! It doesn't get better than this...

    I had a restful Sunday too. I was home alone and able to potter around at my own pace for most of the day :)

    Have a great week!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being home alone Tania - I get so much done with so little effort.

      Delete
  11. I love this post and keep coming back to read it. It has been a while since I've had a day either as productive or relaxing as the one you describe here. And I love the look of your kettle corner - I drink a lot of tea and coffee as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...