Saturday, 23 July 2016

6:00 am Success


The sunrise breaks through the kitchen window over my
freshly prepared breakfast


SIX in the morning is the latest that successful folk arise....and by "arise" that means actually out of bed up and doing, not still in bed and repeatedly punching the snooze button till seven.


Fertiliser infused water ready to dous my vegetables - my first
chore of the day.


I love to sleep in as much as anyone, however a couple of years ago I noticed that if I rose early on my days off that so much more got accomplished. Not only did I accomplish more in a day but evenings were calmer and more leisurely too. We seem to be somehow wired to the natural rhythm of the sun. Awake with the sun and winding down with the sun too - this is life at its best. With the advent of electricity and in particular light globes that produce daylight-strength light, we have distanced ourselves from the very nature of our beings - no wonder we are exhausted, stressed and unravelling.


Home baked foods - a deeply
satisfying and frugal activity


Being out of bed before anyone else gives us that luxurious time to be quietly alone, to allow thoughts to just 'be' without the need to put them into words, to sip a cuppa as the rays of the sun reach over the horizon and lay themselves gently on the kitchen bench and dining room table.  The stillness of observing a sunrise is a spiritual moment shared with the earth as a new day is born. Being present in that moment gives us the blessings of a full day in sync with the natural world we find ourselves in.


Caramelising beef before adding to the stew.


Early to bed and early to rise makes one healthy, wealthy and wise (they say) - I tend to agree. I consistently get more things finished in the morning than in the afternoon or evening. The cool of the morning seems to clear the mind and refresh the soul.  The observance of the sunrise becomes an addictive moment of wonder which appears to ensure a calmer equilibrium and a more productive day ahead.


Veggies prepped ready for
the evening meal.


Before the blazing demands of electric lighting gripped the world - things were different.  Humans rose with the sun and monopolised the daylight in every way possible.  When the sun sank to its hiding place of an evening then folks enjoyed those handful of restful hours  around a fire or lantern to quietly talk, meditate, do gentle crafts, to cuddle their children and reflect. Bedtime was early and usually sleep was bi-phasic with perhaps 3 or 4 hours of sleep then a couple of hours of wakefulness around midnight (known as the night seasons) followed by another 3 or 4 hours of sleep.


Sauce ingredients being fried up.
The smells gently fill the home.


How different is the sun-driven life rhythm to our modern world where of an evening after sundown we are all still hammering away full-bore at life and its activities, throwing down a meal, attending to chores and studying often till midnight then throwing ourselves into bed and commanding our bodies to immediately get a full 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep before the alarm clock shrills us back to our life of consumer slavery. This insane regime sets us up to fail good and proper - the first casualty often being our mental health.


An quick and easy lunch -
left over chilli con carne
on a hot jacket potato with
sour cream and parsley


Lean into 6:00 am starts and sunset finishes (even for just one day a week) and experience the difference.

Take care folks and stay nice now.

Mr HM


P.S:  Hmmmm.... so many food photos.  I might have to mix things up a bit more me thinks.

9 comments:

  1. I have always been a morning person, I love getting up early. I naturally wake anywhere from five thirty to six thirty, and it's hard for me to stay in bed longer...even on Sunday! So not a night owl! Most nights I crawl into bed at eight thirty! And the only time I ever sleep in the day is when I'm sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Cheryl, I have always been a morning person as well. I love my hours between 4 and 6 am--they are mine--ALL MINE!! I have coffee with the birds, do my baking, putter in the garden at sunrise . It's wonderful. The bugs are usually still tolerable, I have no traffic going by, even the neighborhood dogs haven't started their ceaseless barking. Heaven on earth!
    (But don't talk to me after 8 pm..............)
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am up at 4.15am every morning. Like you, I find it is a special couple of hours.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, definitely not a morning person here, Mr.HM. I haven't seen too many sunrises lately :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shudder to think of the weekends I have wasted in bed sleeping in over the years. Looking at all you achieve Nanna Chel probably sends the theory in my post packing!

      Delete
  4. For the last week my internal clock has me up before 5:00am. I have been fighting it and end up staying in bed trying to sleep more, but it never happens. I feel groggy and out of sorts for the rest of the day. I think I will stop fighting it, get out of bed and start the day! Thanks for such an inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss mornings. I work late, often to 11pm, so I am not usually asleep until 2am or up until 10am. Sometimes those late night hours are productive, but I cannot really garden at that time, as I used to do before work. A nice cup of morning tea and baking early sounds amazing. I think my schedule does make our weekends less productive, but alas, it has to stay as it is for now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...