Saturday, 4 June 2016

Saturday's Food - From Scratch


Vegetarian Lasagne




Hi again Folks

I just want to talk about food for a moment.

Food from scratch is so achievable, frugal, satisfying, healthy and real. It is also clever, artistic, thrifty and wise. Today I am posting a few pictures of the the types of 'foody' things that have been going on here to encourage everyone to lean into the food-from-scratch habit.

The vegetarian lasagne above is made with roasted mashed pumpkin, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, sage infused butter sauce, walnuts and gluten free lasagne sheets.  Trust me, it's to die for - and that's a big statement coming from a meat lover.


The $50 freezer

We were recently pondering about saving up and buying a freezer but when we saw some fabulous meat specials happening we wondered about buying a used one instead. Fortuitously, this small upright freezer was on Gumtree for $50 and was very clean and in good working order but the enamel was not in good condition.  We bought it anyway only expecting it to perhaps last a couple of months and then we would buy the new one.....18 months later it is still powering on. We recently painted it with blackboard paint and bought a packet of chalk and as you can see it gets used for all sorts of scribblings, reminders and thoughts - always a-changing.  Oh, and it is full to the brim with frozen goods (mainly meats) bought on special - frugal much!



Freshly baked sough dough bread cooling


Baking your own bread would have to be the finest thing in the world to create instant comfort and contentment...and it is MUCH cheaper than buying the equivalent quality loaf from the shops.  I love sough dough bread on principle as it is a self-perpetuating, self reliant and thrifty process and tastes fabulous.  As the butter melts seductively through the hot slice of bread and perhaps topped with honey from a local hive....my mind wanders. Give it a go - it will be so worth it.


Plain yoghurt and blueberry yoghurt

We have recently discovered the wonder of home made yoghurt here.  The jar in the right is natural yoghurt with a can of blueberries drained then mixed through.  It does not last long around here! It is packed with live and beneficial probiotics, it tastes decadent and smooth and one litre can be made for about $1.  Frugal, nutrient rich, real, smart and clever.


Have a super Saturday folks!  We are having friends over for a real feast-up and I am now off to decorate the garage with tables and chairs, white linen and candles, polish the wine glasses and light the sandalwood incense. Life is good - simply because we make it that way.

Take care - stay nice

Mr HM

16 comments:

  1. The lasagna looks delicious! When my daughter was younger she painted one of her bedroom walls with chalkboard paint. She and her friends had a blast scribbling all over it.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a way to mix a bit of fun into the humdrum of the day. Thanks Mel

      Delete
  2. I love vegetarian lasagna. I hope you all have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri - All the visitors should be arriving soonish. Thanks goodness for several slow cookers, a big oven and a large frypan...all bubbling away.

      Delete
  3. I agree re the sourdough - mine is never as high as it perhaps should be but sooo tasty. My own Mr Home Maker has taken over the bread maker, and made his first batch of rolls a few days ago...a very fair effort. I was quite proud of him...he even cleaned up the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Mr Hutchy! Things are looking up - hee hee!

      Delete
  4. Hey MHM! I found you again. Glad to see you back again. Off to have a peek around your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're starting from scratch Barb - should be fun.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous idea using the blackboard paint to liven up the second hand fridge. Lasagna looks mouth-watering too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou - it sure looks better than the old enamel.

      Delete
  6. I've love making homemade yogurt as well - and with blueberries stirred in is my favorite way to enjoy it! Your blog is absolutely delightful, can't wait to dive in & check it out!

    ~Taylor-Made Homestead~
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum! I love vegetarian lasange more than the meat-based version! I favour two different recipes. One uses four cups of chopped vegetables, passata and ricotta. It's great for using up odds and ends from the crisper. The other I make when I have silverbeet growing in the garden. It is a pumpkin and silverbeet lasagna. Both taste so good and are so easy to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both your versions sound mouth-watering Meg. I like the fact that you use up odds and ends in the crisper - frugal much!

      Delete
  8. I liked your last statement: "Life is good simply because we make it that way." Found myself in an emotional slump just a bit ago and told myself, "It's all in your mind." I took note of all the wonderful things in my life and decided to set my mind on them. I'm going to make my day great. Thanks Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy to hear that joy

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...