Friday, 3 June 2016

Friday Gossip


The chooks - ever excited about new scraps to eat.



Hey folks

No particular theme today as I am just going to have a gossip with you about some things happening here at home.

I have a day off today and have clicked the front gate shut and do not intend to emerge from my lovely home for the next three days until my 4.15 am alarm goes off on Monday morning. Three delicious days - may they go slowly and calmly.


The cauliflower seedlings - literally hen-pecked.


Well, the the chooks have been VERY wicked and have badly pecked my new cauliflower plants. So it's back to the chook pen for them from now on.  I do love the chooks as they provide much amusement with their antics, eat all the srcaps with gusto and provide excellent 'stuff' for the compost heap. We look forward to them getting a few weeks older and enjoying a steady stream of eggs. Six eggs a day will be quite a cooking commitment me thinks. The poor cauliflowers plants will probably pull through - I hope.


Six Isa Brown pullets and Blackie the old dame of the flock


Started the day with cooking a hot breakfast for all here at home and then bundling them out the door.  A couple of loads of washing have already been done and on the line.  Of course DIY washing liquid is still reigning supreme around here as is sun dried clothes 90% of the time.


Two tubs of delicious creamy plain yoghurt for under $1


I put another batch of yoghurt on last night to set and it is ready to go this morning.  I did it across two jars as some of the family like me to add fruit to the yoghurt. I prefer it plain and I also need to keep 1/2 cup of the yoghurt to add to the next batch.  It is so satisfying being able to make your own creamy, tasty yoghurt for under $1 per litre - sure beats paying $5 for 850 grams of the same product at the supermarket.


Some of the veggie self-watering boxes. Totally flourishing.
Cauliflower, beetroots and leeks.


We have been adding one self-watering box of veggies to our garden every weekend. I took the general idea off the Spurtopia website and changed some elements around. Unlike many wicking boxes this method has huge amounts of water reservoir at the bottom - we only top up the boxes once a week and they are far from empty. The boxes are free from the local grocer and the wicking tubes are just plastic pots....add your potting mix and transplant your veggies then do the first watering entirely from the top via a watering can and you are done! Subsequent waterings only need to be done via the filling tube just like you would filling up the car.  Because there is no water on the actual plants this reduces the risk of mould and moisture-loving pests.


Kanga always made Roo have his morning spoonful
of  Extract of Malt.


Have a super Friday folks

Take care and stay nice

Mr HM


21 comments:

  1. Came in from Down to Earth. Nice hens. There nothing like getting your hands in to your home project.
    If you find the time stop in at my blog.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dora - you are right. Home projects feed creativity which is a great healer and reviver.

      Delete
  2. I hope the cauliflower survives - bad, bad chooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I am hoping there are enough leaves left on each plant to let it carry on....time will tell

      Delete
  3. Chooks can be very destructive in garden areas. I still intend on having a chicken run one day. We do have wild ducks visit the garden but they are very kind creatures and eat the pests without destroying my plants. It was my husbands 'at home' day today and I came home to find all the house cleaned from top to bottom (except for my study) and all the washing done. Happy me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on him. I gather your study is sacred so that is why it was not touched!

      Delete
  4. Mr.HM, I can tell you had a really nice day off. I was wondering if you were still making that long trip every day but it seems you are. I thought it was only for 12 months or so. It all sounds very exhausting so you deserve a day off every now and then although it doesn't sound like you had much of a rest. Good to see your chooks again and I can tell Blackie is getting used to the young ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nanna Chel. Blackie was initially very upset and bossy with the young pullets abut now it has all evened out and they are all getting on famously.

      Delete
  5. Great to see you blogging again Phil, I have missed you. Hens are great entertainment aren't they? Such adorable creatures. Will be great to get all the lovely eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy - a fresh start here. It will be eggdom soon here that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. I need to make a fresh batch of laundry liquid too. :)

    Good to see hour girls, Mine have been banished to their various yards also, They dug up far too many plants cheeky sods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is romantic and cute having them wander around but the practicalities are horrendous. The 'girls' are deeply offended as you can imagine!

      Delete
    2. yes as were mine, they let me know as frequently as possible by escaping. I explain to them its their own doing, if only they left the small area near the house where my flowers are they would be quite welcome to scratch and roam free, but they flatly refuse to listen. They are very stubborn little ladies. ;)

      Delete
  7. Just caught up! I forgot to add your new blog to my blog list. So I've been missing when you've posted.

    It's great to see your chickens (although not harassing the veg) finally. The veg boxes look to be productive too. It's all coming together now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - yes, it is all starting to come together...at last.

      Delete
  8. glad to see you blogging again enjoying your posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks emme rose - I'm glad you've found us here :-)

      Delete
  9. Great to see you are making your own yoghurt. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and find I only need 1-2 tablespoons of the culture for a new batch. As soon as I make a fresh lot of yoghurt, I take out 2 tablespoon, pop in a snack size resealable bag and freeze until required. This keeps the culture fresh for a new batch. You probably already do this, but letting you know anyway :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your freezer tip is timely Tania as the family ate the last drop of the last batch!

      Delete
  10. I'd love to know more about your veggie self-watering boxes. They look like an easy way to garden and easy manouverable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a post about it specifically http://mistahomemaker.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/diy-self-watering-veggie-box.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...