Saturday, 18 June 2016

DIY Apple and Tea Vinegar


Delicious apple and tea vinegar made
from scratch


The apple and tea vinegar (above) happened quite by accident.

I started with a load of chopped up apples that were past their freshest-best and popped them into a large Vacola jar with sugary water to start a natural vinegar brew. It developed very, very slowly - way too slow for my levels of patience. So I thought I would use the same principles that I use with my Kombucha brewing and see if that would rev up the batch.  It did.


Ready to decant into a recycled
sterilised wine bottle

Always treat the vinegar mother gently using non-metallic utensils


I added small SCOBY (mother) from a recent Kombucha brew and 2 cups of black tea Kombucha to the apple vinegar mix.  It took off like a shot!  I later removed the apples pieces and left it undisturbed for 6 weeks and now we have the most delicious and unique tasting vinegar ever (it transforms the making of sauces and jus).


This vinegar mother grew like a flash


To be honest, the whole vinegar making thing was just an experiment that ended out exceptionally well.  I now have 4 litres of lovely apple and tea vinegar which I calculated cost me about 80 cents per litre.


Crumbed beef schnitzel with rosemary and butter baked
potato cubes and butter garlic fried beans

Take care folks - stay nice.

Mr HM

14 comments:

  1. Very crafty way to save the apple vinegar and turn it into something unique and useful!

    I was just popping over here to see if you find this recipe for homemade fabric softener useful: http://www.livingonadime.com/homemade-fabric-softener-recipe/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a look-see jay - thanks for the link

      Delete
  2. Great to see the effort wasn't wasted. If you've got extra scoby, its always good to find a new way to use it in the house. My vinegar brewing tends to go slower in winter too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some murmurings around the house that SCOBY can be blended up and used as a face mask....!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of making vinegar but not up with what Kombucha is so will have to do a little research! Always good to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must do a post on Kombucha - it is a powerful probiotic made for cents

      Delete
  4. Clever you! I would like to give that a try some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me more about the butter garlic fried beans. Our green beans will be coming on very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parboil the beans then pop them into a frying pan with a big knob of butter and a heaped teaspoon of minced garlic. Simple but delish.

      Delete
  6. Gosh i missed your blog. Soo good to see you back.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....back to annoy everyone gail - hee hee!

      Delete
  7. great to hear from you again, keep the posts coming. love to read all your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of new posts brewing in my head - no fear of it drying up :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...