Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Mr Home Maker - Hey Folks!


Just at home with a beer or a cuppa



Hey folks!

I’m Mr Home Maker (Mr HM) an Aussie man who is just as comfortable changing the car brake pads as I am whipping up a batch of biscuits or a cinnamon tea cake for afternoon tea.  I love my challenging career nearly as much as my lovely Isa Brown chickens and container veggie gardens and can be found enthralled in either a Unique Car magazine or a vintage cook book. I relish the roar of a V8 as much as I do the whir of the sewing machine and have a love/hate relationship with money – ‘frugal as’ one moment and drooling after a major purchase 3 second later (I battle this demon with increasing skill - just sayin'.).

For all the men world-over that enjoy, or want to learn to enjoy homemaking – this Mr Home Maker  chronicle is for you to perhaps gain some courage to be as dangerous and cunning with a darning needle, egg beater or watering can as you are out on the field, behind the wheel or thumping the proverbial boardroom table.

I have some goals which will be shared with you all as the topics naturally unfold here, however I have recently learnt to leave room in my life for the unexpected.  A life jammed-packed tight with goals leaves no room for wonder, serendipity or the odd unexpected piece of awesomeness.

So if you are single, married, partnered, confirmed loner, still ‘looking’, no kids, too many kids, blended posse of kids, cashed up, battling, successful, self-made, starting out, still on the bottom rung, privileged, pauper, prophet, professor or wall flower – you are all heaps welcome here.  You can lurk or comment, I don’t care – just enjoy and perhaps, just perhaps, shift a paradigm or two.



Books - both borrowed and bought


For all the women world over, I believe that change cannot be quick enough for you all (why aren’t we there already?). Your wisdom is needed here as we share (or indeed unearth) age-old truths on home making. Your input is highly valued and significant as we dabble in new ideas in home making.

Houses are aplenty in our society but homes are becoming much thinner on the ground. If only we can lure men back to the powerful alchemy the building, calming, maintaining, nurturing, feeding, empowering, mending and loving of our homes we could drive a shattering blow to the chokingly frustrating stereotypes and deeply embedded gender inequality that still persists in our world. Have you ever thought that the ‘traditional’ women’s roles promulgated by church and state have also been strangling the very essence out of many, many men? It is true – I am one of them. So many men see an endless horizonless (that’s not a word apparently) life-road of having to be the main income source/garbage bin putter-outerer/ideal lover/strong protector and warrior as being the only valid acceptable male existence. Blurgh.



A perfect match - who knew?!


No need to start out all radical like – the best changes are incremental, believable and sustainable. Leaning into new habits, discovering new creative challenges, experimenting with new societal structures and allowing ourselves to delight in the cerebral revelations that auto-manifest when we try new things, revive forgotten skills and walk against the tide is ample reward and motivation in itself. Irreversible change will happen.

Wade upstream folks!

Take care and stay nice.


Mr HM

56 comments:

  1. Hello Mr.Homemaker. Good to read your first post! Do you happen to keep any chooks by the way???? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I so do keep chooks Nanna Chel! 6 lovely Isa browns (new girls) and an old Dame called Blackie. They will feature here on Mr HM blog too. I love their antics and productivity. Thanks for dropping by :-)

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are blogging again and will miss your old one. Half the chickens we are getting later in June are ISA Browns - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Yep, Isa's are such good layers and a great temperament.

      Delete
  3. Hello Mr. Homemaker! I have a friend's husband loves fixing cars, volunteers at race track and then every year for his wife's birthday he will sew her a skirt- she gets to pick out the material. I think you two would be best buds! The world needs more men like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fabulous story- Thanks Julie!

      Delete
  4. Glad you are back. Needing your cold pressed soap recipe so hope you will post again. You are a great motivator - keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries ebb - I'll be sure to post it up again soon

      Delete
  5. There you are. I was wondering where you'd gone. Very happy you're back and I love the new title. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Lou - in no time we'll be back in full swing.

      Delete
  6. Hello good sir, nice to meet you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you back, up and running. Look forward to your posts and some adventures with 'Blackie'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep Blackie will feature soon too.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful that you and your wisdom are back. Cheers Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello again. Nice to see you back. I found you through a comment on Nanna Chel's blog. If its not too personal a question to ask, what happened to your old blog? Sometimes people can have them shut down and can't get them back, through a technical glitch at Blogger's end. I hope that didn't happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris thanks for tracking me down - yep there is a story. Email me and I will reply and tell you all about it.

      Delete
    2. Love to email, but I can't figure out how. There's a "follow by email" widget on your blog, but I'm not sure if it allows me to distinguish who I am just by providing an email address.

      I've recently put a "contact me form" on my blog. Or you can email me at c dot d dot riley at optusnet dot come dot au.

      I hope all is well with you all.

      Delete
    3. My email is in my contact me tab....but I will email you...all good

      Delete
  10. welcome back, you have been missed
    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I'm back to 'annoy' everyone again

      Delete
  11. So glad you are back mrhm I have had serious withdrawals without your sage comments I hadn't realised how addicted I was to your lovely blog....thanks for returning to your readers. Sharlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sharlene - that is super nice to hear. Onward and upward now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to have you back! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog cause that's what made me think "I think that's him!". Bless you all heaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Starting from scratch here now....should be fun

      Delete
  14. Now that I've discovered it, I'm looking forward to visiting your blog regularly! I do think, in our modern world, that houses are sometimes just houses and not homes. Homes are where people live, not where they merely exist. Looking forward to reading more! Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg - great to have you here! You are so right about the home versus house thing. Hopefully we can encourage a shift in paradigm for our readers

      Delete
  15. Very pleased to be re-acquainted with you Mr H! I must admit to being rather anxious about you! I'm still wading upstream, though the waters have been a tad deep of late. A bit of your homespun wisdom is just what's needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Hutchy - a day at a time is all you need to do.

      Delete
  16. I've also been looking for your blog for weeks and finally found the new one. I have missed your insights for weeks and I'm glad I "found" you again. I'm curious also what had happened to you. Hope you're ok and all is well.

    Alice
    amdamsteegt at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed this post Phil, and it's true we all possess different talents that aren't necessarily confined to 'traditional roles'. However, I've never felt that the genders are 'unequal'. We are different, but equal. I've never felt I had to be anything more than who or what I am. Sounds like you've been re-energized here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, just discovered your blog, over from Rhonda's and I see you have one of her books ! I have tried to comment from my WordPress blog but as it wasn't accepted (twice) by the look of it. I've resorted to my old Google blog.
    Wonder if anybody else is having the same issue. It's the same with many Google blogs, not just yours. I look forward to following your blog. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean - hmmm, I am not a wordpress whiz I'm afraid so no wise solutions sorry.

      Delete
  19. Being frugal is a great way to get those 'special purchases' you want, without going into debt. Save some, spend some, staying out of debt - makes sense!

    I've just realised it's you, Phil! Would love to know what happened to your blog...

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't want to be nosey, but it's killing me...where did you disappear to Phil and are you all OK?
    Cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate - flick me an email using the email address in the "About Mr HM" tab on this blog and I'll tell you all about it.

      Delete
  21. There you are! I'm glad you are back :)I just did a post on stockpiling and really wanted to share links to yours because it helped me so much, but they are gone. Never mind, great to see you writing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - I am certain I will be having plenty to say about stockpiling in the future.

      Delete
  22. I am so glad that I found you again! I've been worried that something bad happened. I hope nothing did. Glad that I can follow your blog again! Cheers, scrapstoker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks scrapstoker - nice to have you with us again

      Delete
  23. Hi, have just come over from Rhonda's blog and am liking what I'm reading, hope to read plenty more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to have you here Sian - enjoy.

      Delete
  24. I'm so glad I've found you again! I was shocked and saddened when I saw that your blog wasn't there anymore.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to have found you again Mr HM, I knew it was you from your lovely sign off. I tell my little girl that every time when I drop her off at pre-school :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have found us too Nim - Starting over again here at Mr Home Maker.

      Delete
  26. Great to find you again. Saw a blog name on Fergs on the move blog which made me think that it could be you back again. All the best.
    If it's not too personal or painful you could incorporate your missing in "action" later into a post.
    My it's been a trip down memory lane reading some blogs. ..we get older yet still feel young at heart.
    Alexa-asimplelife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me again! Suffice to say that this version of my blog is far less invasive of my family's privacy :-)

      Delete
  27. Here you are! I have been looking for you and scratching my head wondering what happened! So glad I have found you again, I have a lot of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...