Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Kitchen Spray - It Changed My Life


The kitchen spray that changed my life


Hi Folks

Did I tell you the story about the day kitchen spray changed my life?  Well, you see, one evening a couple of years ago now, we ran out of kitchen bench spray. As per my usual style I ran (read drove my gas guzzling truck) down to the shops to pick up this single item. I was surpised how easy it was to get a park and off I sauntered into Coles to buy said kitchen spray on my credit card. Coles was shut - it was a public holiday and thus all the shops were shut.


The white butter cow snuggling up to the weighted baking beads
who is sharing secrets with the Indian tea canister


Annoyed, I drove back home and had an immature rant about shops being shut on public holidays to anyone caring to listen.  Still miffed I jumped on the 'interwebs' and idly searched the ingredients of kitchen spray.  This was more out of boredom and annoyance than really being interested. This simple act was the small action that became the turning point that changed my life - there on my screen was literally hundreds of sites showing how to easily, cheaply, frugally, thriftily make your own kitchen spray!  Who knew?!  Not me, that was for sure.  Of course all these sites were varying versions of the simple living movement that is a steadily growing community world wide - I was transfixed.  My current (then) life with its stupid fiscal habits, wastefulness, buy and throw-out, consumerist addiction and thinly veiled greed was instantly under the spotlight.  I converted  then and there in that very moment as the bigger implicit realisations rolled over me like a wave of wisdom.

 There is more to this story obviously but that will suffice for the time being.

Since then I have experimented with many version of DIY kitchen spray and I like the following one for ease, aroma, thriftiness and versatility the best:


Three simple ingredients ready to go


DIY KITCHEN SPRAY

1 x teaspoon of washing soda (not bicarb soda)
1 x dessertspoon of washing up detergent (any brand you have on hand)
750 mls of warm water

Combine all till dissolved and decant into an empty spray bottle - probably the one that had the store-bought version in it as the spray triggers on these last for ages.

I have experimented with vinegar based sprays and whilst really effective cleaners, they actually quickly seize up the spray trigger mechanism of your spray bottle - hence my preference for this recipe instead.


Go on - give it a whirl. Four cents worth!


DO THE MATH

Normal kitchen spray will cost you approx $3.50 a pop.
DIY kitchen spray will only cost you 4 cents to make.

We would use one spray bottle a week due to all the people living at our house.
Annually we therefore would have spent  $187.00 just on kitchen spray.
Now we only spend $2.08 in total per year using this DIY kitchen spray.

That is an annual saving of $184.92


Lean in folks - give this super simple DIY kitchen spray a shot.


Take care and stay nice folks.

Mr HM.

19 comments:

  1. I was wondering why I have gone through two spray bottles in the last month. The triggers were the problem and both had vinegar based cleaners in them. I think I will be changing to your recipe right away. Thanks, Mr. HM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Mel - I think you'll really like it and no more vinegar smell around the house.

      Delete
  2. That is interesting, Mr HM. I don't usually use a spray but might whip one up. Thanks for the info about the problem with the triggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a bottle of this today Mr HM. Thanks, it's awesome! Another bonus is that there is no vinegar smell. Sibella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are onto a winner now Sibella - pass on the good news!

      Delete
  4. I keep going back and forth from homemade cleaners to bought. At the moment I have bought stuff plus homemade laundry soap (dry version). I can't seem to keep myself using the homemade. I like the smell of the one I use. Hmmm..wonder if I can add fragrance cheaply. Got any ideas you can share with us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I make the laundry liquid but I add 1 cap full of our favourite bought laundry liquid to 2 litres (1/2 gallon) and the fragrance permeates the batch of homemade liquid and the laundry smell like your favourite brand for a tiny fraction of the cost

      Delete
  5. I would like to try this but I have no idea what washing soda and washing up detergent is. I guess we don't use these terms here.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice. Washing soda should be for sale somewhere in your laundry aisle at the shops. The other is dishwashing liquid.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant !
    I can't even stand the smell if I find myself walking down the "cleaning" aisle at Coles. All those chemicals - but it cleans out my sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a neat story about how the kitchen spray started an epiphany!
    I still love your recipe and honestly these days I skip the washing soda and just use some earth choice dish liquid. The washing soda makes everything just a bit slippery in my opinion. I also have an excellent spray bottle that has lasted 2 years. Before I found your recipe I was using a brand called nature direct which is concentrates made from essential oils. DH didn't like the smell but I sure wasn't going back to supermarket cleaners! Anyway, they come with these really good quality spray bottles. I still use their glass cleaner as a fragrance free alternative to windex. It works better than anything else and doesn't smell like chemicals or vinegar (which is the other simple living option)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works best for you jay - the fun is in the experimentation and seeing what results

      Delete
  8. I haven't had too much trouble with clogging when using vinegar in this mix. I also add 25mls of eucalyptus oil and it makes it lovely and fresh. Lavender would be good also. Just spot check before using on benches etc. I find it fantastic for shower screens.
    I'm new to your blog, Mr Home Maker so I'll enjoy having a read over the weekend. :)
    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joolz

      There is not a comparable smell to eucalyptus - it smells so clean.

      Delete
  9. Ahhhh, its the vinegar, thought I must have been using dodgy spray bottles! I do love the recipe I use though..... it works soooo much better than anything I can buy in the shops! might have to try with out the vinegar and see how it works. I also add eucalyptus oil and it smells so divine - and clean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to this. I also add eucalyptus oil to the mix and the spray cuts through grease like magic, leaving everything looking and smelling so clean. I have found it also cleans the oven and the range hood and the stainless steel sink looks brilliant too. Wonderful, wonderful, all natural cleaner. Love it. Another unexpected bonus was my discovering, quite accidentally, that undiluted eucalyptus oil is great for cleaning paint brushes after using oil based paint. All of which makes me wonder about the state of the intestines of a koala!!!!

      Delete
  10. I can't even stand the smell if I find myself walking down the "cleaning" aisle at Coles. All those chemicals - but it cleans out my sinuses.
    สูตรบาคาร่า
    โกเด้นสล็อต

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...